“Yikes! What a Way To
Go...New York City's Travel Experience
By Miriam Medina
Sources of Information Utilized for
the Chronology of New York City's Travel Experience
1) The Brooklyn Daily Eagle "Fulton Ferry"
June 17, 1872.
2) A glance at New York : embracing the city government,
theatres, hotels, churches, mobs, monopolies, learned
professions, newspapers, rogues, dandies, fires and firemen,
water and other liquids, &c., &c.
New York: A. Greene, 1837).
3) The story of Broadway, old and New, from the Bowling
Green to Albany) Author: Stephen Jenkins Publisher: G.P.
Putnam's Sons-New York and London The Knickerbocker Press
4) Manual of the Corporation of the City of New York by D.T.
5) Valentine's Manual of Old New York No. 7, New Series
1923; Edited by Henry Collins Brown, Copyright: 1922 Henry
6) Web Link: http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/macombs-dam/
7) Wheels Across America by Clarence P. Hornung; A.S. Barnes
and Company 1959.
8) New York As It Was and As It Is; Giving An Account of the
City From Its Settlement to the Present Time: Compiled by
John Disturnell, published by D. Van Nostrand-New York 1876.
9) The Brooklyn Daily Eagle January 2, 1898 Consolidation
10) Historical guide to the city of New York New York: F.A.
Stokes Co., 1913 anonymous.
11) Photo Credit: Wheels Across America by Clarence P.
Hornung; A.S. Barnes and Company 1959.
12) The Brooklyn Daily Eagle June 29, 1885.
13) The Brooklyn Daily Eagle November 12, 1856.
14) Survey of Jamaica : borough of Queens, New York City.
New York: Jamaica Board of Trade, 1920 Anonymous.
15) I Hear America Talking by Stuart Berg Flexner; A
Touchstone Book published by Simon and Schuster, 1976.
16) The Great Metropolis A Mirror of New York by Junius
Henri Browne American Publishing Company-Hartford, 1869.
17) History of New York State 1523-1927, Dr. James Sullivan;
Editor-in-Chief; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc.
New York, Volume: Biographical (1927)
18) The Secrets of the Great City: A Work Descriptive of the
Virtues and the Vices, the Mysteries, Miseries and Crimes of
New York City, by James Dabney McCabe (aka Edward Winslow
Martin) Published: Philadelphia, Chicago, Jones Brothers &
19) Wonders of a Great City; or; The sights, secrets and
sins of New York; being a wonderful portrayal of the Varied
Phases of Life in the Greatest City of America. by Matthew
Hale Smith Chicago, People's Pub. Co.,1887
20) The Great North Side; or; Borough of the Bronx, New
York, Anonymous; New York, Knickerbocker Press, 1891.
21) Rapid Transit in New York City and in Other Great
Cities: Prepared for the New York Chamber of Commerce of the
State of New York 1905.
22) Adventures of America 1857-1900; A Pictorial Record From
Harper's Weekly by John A. Kouwenhoven; Harper & Brothers
Publishers-New York 1938.
23) The Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1/31/1881.
24) Darkness and Daylight or, Lights and Shadows of New York
by Mrs. Helen Campbell A.D. Worthington & Co., Publishers
25) Web Link: http://www.nycroads.com/
26) Web Link: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ffhist.htm
27) Rider's New York City: A Guide-Book for Travelers,
compiled and edited by Fremont Rider; Henry Holt and
Company-New York (1916)
28) Building The Independent Subway by Frederick A. Kramer
Quadrant Press, Inc. New York 1990.
29) A Brief History of the City of New York by Charles B.
Todd; American Book Company 1899.
30) The Catholic Encyclopedia edited by Charles G.
Herbermann, Ph.D., LL.D.Publisher: The Universal Knowledge
Foundation, Inc. 1911 Encyclopedia Press, Inc. 1913
31) Railway and Traffic Problems; The annals, Editor: Emory
American Academy of Political and Social Science 1907.
32) The Encyclopedia Americana 1919 The Encyclopedia
33) Transactions of the International Engineering congress,
1915 San Francisco, California.
34) Greater New York; The Evening Post Publishing Co.-New
35) The City: Urban communities and their problems;
Published by Wm. C. Brown Company Publishers-Iowa.
Copyright: 1978 (excert)
36) The Electrical Engineer Volume VII. (New Series);
37) History of American Steam Navigation;By John H.
Morrison. W.F. Sametz & Co., Inc. 1903
38) Web Link: http://www.baycrossings.com/news_archive_view_next.asp?id=1006&mon=4&yea=2002
39) Web Link: http://longislandgenealogy.com/FerryRoad.pdf
40) Web Link: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/4294/history/1920_1935.html#airlinegrowth
41) Web Link: http://www.geocities.com/floyd_bennett_field/1930s.html
42) Web Link:
43) Web Link: http://www.goingcoastal.org/maritimeny.htm#3mn
Back To "New York City's
Travel Experience Table of Contents