E-mail This Article To A Friend

Print This Article Page

 
Article Page url: http://www.thehistorybox.com/ny_city/society/printerfriendly/nycity_society_wedding_buzz_article0097.htm

Many Happy June Brides 1891

Lenox, Mass. June 11-The wedding of Mr. George Evans Turnure and Miss Elizabeth L. Gardner Lanier took place today at high noon at Trinity Church. Nearly 1,000 invitations were issued to leading society people of New York, Boston, and other cities, and so many were accepted that all the cottages and hotels were taxed to their utmost capacity for the accommodation of the wedding guests.

The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. Dr. Grosvenor, rector of Trinity Church. The floral decorations of the church were most elaborate. The altar rail was trimmed with sprays of stephanotis, and the memorial windows of the church were banked with hundreds of varieties of roses and other cut flowers in great profusion. Palms and exotic plants filled the chancel.

The bride is the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lanier, and is the last of the three daughters to be married. The groom is well known in society circles, and the young couple have for several Summers been among the most popular of Lenox young society people.

The bride passed up the broad aisle of the church leaning on her father's arm. She was attired in a gown of white satin, en train, cut with high neck and long sleeves and trimmed with chiffon. She wore a lace veil and carried a bouquet of bride's roses. The bridesmaids were Misses Gandy, Greenleaf, Mary Turnure, and Catherine Sands. They were dressed in white chiffon, with pink ribbons, and carried immense bunches of pink roses. They all wore large leghorn hats trimmed with pink ostrich tips.

The groom met the bride at the altar accompanied by his best man, Percy Turnure, a younger brother. The ushers were James Arden Harriman, Frank P. Magoun, B.C. Wilson, Jr., J. Woodward Haven, Frank N. Bacon, and William Travers Gray. Prof. Way of Pittsfield presided at the organ and played a wedding march as the bridal party entered the church, while Mendelssohn's wedding march was played as the newly-wedded couple passed down the aisle after the ceremony.

A wedding breakfast was served at Allen Winden, the Laniers' cottage, to over three hundred guests. The floral decorations were on a scale of magnificence never seen in Lenox before. Over 1,000 varieties of roses were used and 700 sprays pf Stephanotis. The bridal couple received the congratulations of their friends in the south end of the music room under a floral veil composed entirely of orchids. This was the first orchid bell ever seen here and so far as known is the first used in this country. The fireplaces in the music room, dining room, and library were banked with the rarest roses and exotic plants of every description. Sprays of stephanolis reached from the electric chandeliers to the corners of the rooms.

The wedding breakfast was served in both the music room and dining room by Delmonico. Lander's orchestra furnished the Music. The presents were magnificent and of great number. Among the many guests were Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Lawrence, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. Frank Appleton, Mr. and Mrs. D.S. Eggleston, Mr. and Mrs. J.F.D. Lanier, Mrs. William H. Vanderbilt, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Turnure, Mrs. H.P. Eggleston, Mrs. Evans, Miss Turnure, Mr. and Mrs. Morris K. Jesup, Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Ellis, Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Scheng. Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Sloane, Mr. and Mrs. Elliot F. Shepard, Dr. and Mrs. Greenleaf, Mr. and Mrs. William Robeson, Miss Irene Bigelow, Mrs. H.P. Denny, Mrs. J. K. Cravens, Mrs. Davidson, Mrs. John Howard Latham, Mr. and Mrs. John E. Parsons, Mr. and Mrs. Brayton Ives, and Charles E. Butler.

 


Article Information:
Article Name: Many Happy June Brides 1891
Website: http:www.thehistorybox.com |Researcher/Transcriber:    Miriam Medina
Source:  New York Times June 12, 1891. p.5 (1 page)
Article Time & Date Stamp: