The History Box.com Main Page New York City Directory The World Of Society Main Directory    
   
   
   
 
 

New York Architect: Harry William Greene

 
 
  Biographical Volume: Page: 159-160

The name of Harry W. Greene throughout the city of Watertown and its environs signifies an architect of proved ability and wide experience, an active fraternalist and clubman, and a good citizen who has ever been awake to the needs of his community, and one who takes an active part in all worthy movements which have as their design the advancement or betterment of the city, its conditions and its institutions. Mr. Greene is one of the most able architects in Northern New York, and in association with Addison F. Lansing, has been instrumental in the designing and erection of many beautiful buildings, not only in Watertown, but throughout the State-at-large. Many of the best known public buildings in various cities and villages bear the stamp of his genius, and that he is both an asset and a credit to Watertown is a fact not to be denied. Mr. Greene brings to his profession a natural ability as a designer, great efficiency and a close attention to details, and a wide experience which makes him a most valuable member of the well-known firm of Lansing & Greene, Architects, of Watertown, New York.

Harry W. Greene was born at Copenhagen, Lewis County, New York State, on October 25, 1879, a son of Eugene H. and Anna J. (Babcock) Greene, well-known and highly respected residents of that place. The father, Eugene H. Greene, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, was a well-known general contractor and builder, and died in the year 1918. The mother, whose death occurred in 1924, was a native of Watertown, New York.

Harry W. Greene received his education in the local public and high schools of his native community, and under the wise guidance of his father he became familiar with the many phases and ramifications of construction work at an early age. Since coming to Watertown, New York, his mother's birthplace, he has become recognized as one of the prominent business men of that Northern New York city. Upon his advent into Watertown, he entered the employ of Addison F. Lansing, who was so impressed by the young man's ability and efficiency that in 1915 he took him in as a partner, under the firm name of Lansing & Greene. Mr. Greene has been associated with Mr. Lansing for a quarter of a century, and for more than a decade of that time as junior partner. The firm of Lansing & Greene has erected some of the most important public and private structures in Northern New York, a partial list of which will be found in the biography of Addison F. Lansing which immediately prece3des this account of Mr. Greene. The firm is one of the finest in the city of Watertown, and is noted for the excellent type of work which it turns out.

Politically, Mr. Greene gives his allegiance to the Republican party. During the late World War he was active in all of the many drives for funds, both Federal and humanitarian: and he fraternizes with the Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of the Blue Lodge, No. 49, and of the Watertown Chapter, No. 57, Royal Arch Masons. His clubs include, among others, the following: The Black River Valley Club, Municipal Golf Club, the Rotary Club, of Watertown, and the Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church (St. Paul's) of Watertown, to which he gives valued service as a vestryman.

Harry W. Greene was married, at Clayton, New York, on March 25, 1907, to Lena G. Graves, a daughter of John H. and Miriam (Watson) Graves, of Clayton, New York. Harry W. and Lena G. (Graves) Greene are the parents of two children, as follows: 1.Marian W., born on July 12, 1909. 2. Benjamin H. born on August 22, 1910. The family home is maintained at No. 1209 Madison Avenue, Watertown, New York.

 

 
 
Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: New York Architect: Harry William Greene
Researcher/Transcriber: Miriam Medina

Source:

From my collection of books: History of New York State 1523-1927; editor in-chief, Dr. James Sullivan, Publisher: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. (1927)
Time & Date Stamp:  

 

   
  Privacy statement | Terms of use