The History Box.com Main Page New York City Directory The World Of Society Main Directory    
   
   
   
 
 

New York Architect: Addison Farwell Lansing

 
 
  Biographical Volume: Page: 158-159

A native of New Jersey, came to Watertown, New York, in 1896, and since that time a period of three decades has become well and widely known throughout that section of the State as a foremost and very successful architect. In erecting some of the finest public and private structures in Watertown, Mr. Lansing, through his art and his profession, has built for himself fitting monuments that will assure his name of perpetuity and keep green his memory for many years to come.

Addison F. Lansing was born in Vineland, New Jersey, on October 16, 1870, a son of Dr. Edward S. and Mary (Sherman) Lansing. The father, Dr. Edward S. Lansing, a native of Herkimer County, New York, was a well known physician Surgeons of New York City. His death occurred in 1895. The mother, Mary (Sherman) Lansing, was a native of Watertown, New York, and died in the year 1904.

Addison F. Lansing received his early education in the public schools of Burlington, New Jersey, following which he attended and was graduated from the Farnum Preparatory School at Beverly, New Jersey. He then matriculated at the University of Pennsylvania, whence he was graduated with the class of 1892, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Science. During his undergraduate days he made a name for himself in intercollegiate athletic circles, and in baseball, especially, was he well known through the fact that he was catcher of the Varsity team during each of his four collegiate years. Immediately upon the completion of his scholastic work, Mr. Lansing went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he learned to combine and correlate his theoretical training with practical experience under the expert tutelage of and in association with the well-known Crawford Coates, with whom he remained for four years. At the end of that time, in 1896, he came to Watertown, New York, his mother's birthplace, where he has remained ever since, becoming one of the most prominent, influential and respected men of that Northern New York City. He established himself in business upon coming to Watertown, and until 1915 carried on a successful architectural business under his own name. In that year, however, he took in as partner Harry W. Greene (q.v.) under the name of Lansing & Greene, and since that time this association has continued with the greatest success. Among the many fine structures that go to the credit of this well-known firm may be mentioned the Flower Memorial Library, the Annex to the New York Trust Company Building, the Jefferson County Savings Bank, the Jefferson Street National Bank (a reconstruction), many public schools throughout the State, as well as many of the largest apartment houses, and numerous residences of the better type, such as that of Mrs. Taylor, a daughter of R.P. Flower. The firm continues to grow steadily and surely, and at the present time (1926) is working on the plans for many important projects.

Politically, Mr. Lansing is a staunch Democrat, a believer in and an advocate of the principles of the Democratic party. During the late World War he gave up much of his time to war work, receiving a certificate for his excellent work as captain of No. 12 team.

Fraternally, he holds active membership with the Free and Accepted Masons, and with Delta Phi, the latter one of the foremost of the National Greek-Letter fraternities, to which he was honored by election during his undergraduate days, and in which he has maintained his deep interest ever since. He is also a member of the National Architectural Association, the Crescent Yacht Club, the Black River Valley Club, the Jefferson County Golf and Country Club, and the Rotary Club of Watertown, of which he is a past president, and the Municipal Golf Club. He is a trustee of the Roswell P. Flower Library. His religious affiliation is given to St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church, of which he has been a member of the vestry for many years, and of which he is a regular attendant and a most liberal supporter. He also gives freely of his means toward the support of many local charities and benevolences.

Addison F. Lansing was married at Watertown, New York, on October 20, 1903, to Agnes P. Van Ostend, a daughter of Dexter and Agnes (Phelps) Van Ostend, well-known and highly respected residents of Watertown, New York. Addison F. and Agnes P. (Van Ostend) Lansing are the parents of one daughter, Agnes Phelps Lansing, a graduate of the Masters' School, Dobbs Ferry, New York.

 

 
 
Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: New York Architect: Addison Farwell Lansing
Researcher/Transcriber: Miriam Medina

Source:

From my collection of books: History of New York State 1523-1927; editor in-chief, Dr. James Sullivan, Publisher: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. (1927)
Time & Date Stamp:  

 

   
  Privacy statement | Terms of use