Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page

















Disturbances Which Were Called Riots In Earlier Times 1855

The Great New York Police Riot 1857 and The Five Points Riot of New York 1857
The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine Conflagration September 2, 1858

The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine War September 3, 1858

The Astor Place Riot 1859 and A Riot Among The Soldiers of the Third Regiment Irish Brigade 1861

Mob Excitement in Brooklyn 1861

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part I: President Lincoln's Proclamations

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part II: Bounties/Substitutes

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part III: The New York Draft Riot

The Colored Orphan Asylum Riot 1863

The Orangemen Riot 1870-1871 and Near Riot at Tompkins Square 1877

Mob Attacks Meyer's Saloon 1893

Riot Preceded the Parade of Cloakmakers 1894

College Boys Cause A Riot and A Race Riot On The West Side of Manhattan 1900


View Source Of Articles Here


Pieter Van Stryker was one of the patentees named in the Dongan Patent of November 12, 1685 and was High Sheriff of Kings County



The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine War September 3, 1858

 ONE OF OUR REPORTERS proceeded to the scene of excitement this morning, and gives the following particulars of the occurrences:

The smoke from the destroyed buildings at Quarantine was plainly visible from the ferry landing at the foot of South street this morning. It hung like a pall over the place, and stretched along the north shore of the Island, almost, as fast as the eye could reach.

On approaching the landing in was discovered that the wash house Dock was on fire. Whether it caught from the buildings, or whether it was set on fire, in order to make a complete finish of the whole concern, we could not ascertain to a certainty. No person appeared willing to take the responsibility of giving definite information, fearing probably that they might criminate themselves.

The snip Ratter lies off the dock, being in course of fumigation and cleansing. A guard of 60 marines are stationed at the Government Dock, and keeping watch of the property. There is no danger, however. The people are rejoiced that the pest houses are destroyed and would do nothing to injure other property.

On approaching the grounds we observed breaches made in the brick walls, by a species of battering ram, through which the mob had entered the night previous. The grounds, we should judge, embraces several acres. The buildings present nothing but blackened walls, and the grass is strewed with the sick and the dead. We gave yesterday, the result of the first burning.

Last evening about 9 o'clock a mob of about 500 banded together at Fresh Pond, about two miles distant. In the meantime, a meeting of citizens took place in the village. While they were passing high sounding resolutions and making buncombe speeches in opposition to the Quarantine, the mob marched down, and commenced the work of destruction. They first fired 6 cottages along the boundary line, which is on the top of the hill. These buildings were occupied by the laborers and other employees. Next they went to Dr. Waller's house and set fire to that. The Doctor did his best to protect his property. He had a musket and proceeded
to use it, but it was wrested from him and his house was burned down. The furniture was, however, mostly saved.

The mob next proceeded to Dr. Bissell's house, and set it on fire. thence they proceeded to the large Female Hospital, in which all the patients had been placed since the destruction of the buildings on the night previous. Nothing but the blackened walls of this building remain. One man, the second engineer of the Steamer Philadelphia, who was taken in on account of yellow fever, died just before the flames broke out. His body is still lying in the vicinity.

The Lower (Small Pox) Hospital was then attacked and burned down. The next building destroyed was Dr. Thompson's office at the landing, and the Wash House Dock. The Wash House is Government property, but has been used for government purposes for the past seven years. The fences about the grounds were still burning this morning, and no one seemed interested enough to put it out. The cottages of the employees having been fired, the mob rushed in under pretence of extinguishing the flames, but instead of so doing piled on armfuls of straw, which was saturated with turpentine and pitch, and gave such an impetus to the flames that it would have been impossible to extinguish them if the fire apparatus had been permitted to work.

The engines and hose of the village were brought out under pretence of aiding in extinguishing the flames. As it was not the intention to save the property, the hose were cut, and even if there had been a desire to do duty it would have been impossible. The fire burned without let or hindrance, and the buildings were all consumed. The entire number of buildings consumed is 11. The Hospital called the St. Nicholas was built in 1828, at a cost of $80,000. The Female Hospital was built in 1808, during the time that Mr. De Witt was Health Officer. It was considered one of the best hospitals in the world. It contained all the stores, drugs and culinary apparatus, all of which was destroyed. One house, occupied by Dr. Bissell was built when Dr. Rockwell was Health Officer at a cost of $7,000. We could get no information of the value of the remaining buildings.

Some sixty sick persons were in the hospitals at the time of the fire. Of these 20 were yellow fever patients, and of those 4 are dangerous. Sheriff Lockman, who lives seven miles distant, was notified last night at 10 o'clock of the state of affairs. He arrived this morning, and with his deputy, Reagan, proceeded to engage building in which to place the sick. One of the physicians informed us that a barge would be sent from the city this afternoon upon which all the sick could be placed, and then anchored out in the stream.

It was reported that one woman and two children died last night, and that two men died this morning. This the doctors deny most positively. They state that but one man died, and that was the 2d engineer of the steamer Philadelphia. Mr. Thos. Burns, the proprietor of a hotel in the vicinity, took two sick women and a child, which he found living in the open air, and conveyed them to a building near by, where they were cared for.

[1]  [2] [3]

Powered By Fly Design Studio