Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page
















Disturbances Which Were Called Riots In Earlier Times 1855

The Great New York Police Riot 1857 and The Five Points Riot of New York 1857
The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine Conflagration September 2, 1858

The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine War September 3, 1858

The Astor Place Riot 1859 and A Riot Among The Soldiers of the Third Regiment Irish Brigade 1861

Mob Excitement in Brooklyn 1861

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part I: President Lincoln's Proclamations

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part II: Bounties/Substitutes

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part III: The New York Draft Riot

The Colored Orphan Asylum Riot 1863

The Orangemen Riot 1870-1871 and Near Riot at Tompkins Square 1877

Mob Attacks Meyer's Saloon 1893

Riot Preceded the Parade of Cloakmakers 1894

College Boys Cause A Riot and A Race Riot On The West Side of Manhattan 1900


View Source Of Articles Here


Erasmus Hall High School was erected in Brooklyn, New York in 1787



The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine Conflagration September 2, 1858

[Continue from page 1]

After the mob had dispersed, some one got into the lower building, called the Women's Hospital, and set it on fire. It was soon put out, and is now the only hospital on the ground. Fifteen of the Harbor Police have been on duty at Quarantine since April last, constituting three boats' crews. Edwin A. O'Brien is coxswain of Boat No. 7. His associates are Frederick Blair, Joseph H. Bogle, Martin H. Dixon, and Ira Garland. One of the above officers heard a party on a Staten Island boat, only a few days since, offering to make a bet that the Hospital buildings would be burned before long.

Other circumstances led them to suspect that a movement would be made to burn the buildings. Boat No. 7 went on duty last night at 7 o'clock. About 9:12 o'clock P.M. they first saw a fire, and supposed it to be inside of Quarantine. They pulled for the shore, and two of the crew went up the hill to ascertain the cause. They returned in a few minutes, and reported that the west wall was broken down, that a great number were inside, running to and fro, with no one to guide them, hallooing, shouting, and exulting at the rising flames.

One line of six shanties was on fire, and the incendiaries were busy pilling up the bedding in the rooms. Beds already on fire were carried and placed against the doorways, to set them on fire. Mr. O'Brien ran to Dr. Thomson's house for instructions. There were a few stevedores about the house armed for the purpose of protecting it. Dr. Thompson directed the Quarantine steamer to be got ready and sent to the City; but on farther inquiry she was found not to be at her dock.

Mr. O'Brien and his party then started for the City, with the above-named crew. They left at 20 minutes past 12 and arrived at 10:14 A.M., after a hard pull. They were delayed for a quarter of an hour by a sturgeon, which, without invitation, jumped on board their boat, planting himself under the thwarts. He measured five feet in length, and weighed 150 pounds. He was finally quieted after much persuasion with the end of a boat hook, and lay still. He was brought to the city as a trophy. The policemen insist that he is in some way connected with the outlaws of Staten Island.

When the boatmen first landed and saw the mob at the gate, they stationed themselves there to keep them back. They were, however, assaulted with rocks, a large quantity of which was piled up near the gate. Finding they were determined to force an entrance, they were obliged to retire before the shower of stones and a very large force. The gate was then broken
open, and there was no further obstruction to their entrance. An engine had already been drawn in through the broken wall on the west side. Hundreds now poured in through the gateway and rushed up the hill, shouting and hurrahing.

The stevedore's man who was shot was near the shanties, not making active resistance, but merely looking on. It appears the men employed inside the grounds were armed with muskets, with bayonets attached. They were very much excited. The man received three or four balls or slugs through his body. What the provocation was for shooting him, is not known. One of these persons placed a musket at the breast of one of the Police. (His name is Carl, and he is employed inside.) When the boat left, the Small-pox Hospital was on fire, and on the way up they saw other buildings in the group burning.

Report of these facts was made to the Superintendent with a request for a strong force, 50 men were accordingly dispatched by the 3 o'clock boat. The light of the conflagration was distinctly seen until after 3 o'clock, at which time it was not known whether Dr. T's. house was burned or not. He expressed his determination to defend his domicile to the last


[1]  [2]

Powered By Fly Design Studio