Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page
















Disturbances Which Were Called Riots In Earlier Times 1855

The Great New York Police Riot 1857 and The Five Points Riot of New York 1857
The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine Conflagration September 2, 1858

The Staten Island Riot: The Quarantine War September 3, 1858

The Astor Place Riot 1859 and A Riot Among The Soldiers of the Third Regiment Irish Brigade 1861

Mob Excitement in Brooklyn 1861

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part I: President Lincoln's Proclamations

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part II: Bounties/Substitutes

The Draft Riot in New York City 1863 Part III: The New York Draft Riot

The Colored Orphan Asylum Riot 1863

The Orangemen Riot 1870-1871 and Near Riot at Tompkins Square 1877

Mob Attacks Meyer's Saloon 1893

Riot Preceded the Parade of Cloakmakers 1894

College Boys Cause A Riot and A Race Riot On The West Side of Manhattan 1900


View Source Of Articles Here


Rosa Ponselle, American operatic soprano, made her debut in 1918 at the Metropolitan Opera,  New York, in Verdi's "La Forza Del Destino."



College Boys Cause A Riot and A Race Riot on the West Side of Manhattan 1900

(Continue from page 1)

In the meantime the negroes themselves were not backward in their own defense. Revolvers, knives and razors played a prominent part in the engagement and several persons suffered from gunshot, wounds, cuts and stabs. In one encounter Policeman John Kennedy was cut in the arm and shoulder and seriously but not fatally hurt. In return he shot one of his negro assailants. Lee, through the jaw and breast and he was otherwise so badly injured that it is thought at Bellevue Hospital that he will die.

From the roofs of the tenements the negroes showered the police and rioters both with bricks, stones and sticks and inflicted some painful injuries. Not satisfied with attacking such blacks as could be found in the streets and tenements, the rioters boarded the Eighth and Ninth avenue cars and dragged negro passengers over the laps of the other passengers to the street where they were kicked and pounded into insensibility.

James Rice, the conductor of a Ninth avenue car was shot in the left leg by a negro passenger who was trying to defend himself and was taken to Roosevelt Hospital.

The mob invaded the various restaurants and attacked the negro waiters, and in some cases the restaurants were closed. The police gradually restored order, but were not withdrawn from the neighborhood until late this morning. The arrests were numerous. The blacks were in the majority in the lists of prisoners. In several cases the police absolutely declined to arrest white men. In one case on Eighth avenue, a ruffian in the mob even ventured to ask a policeman for his club to attack a negro bicyclist, who was already lying prostrate in the street.

The reserves of the station which had been on duty nearly all night were called in during the morning and after 5 o'clock there were only spasmodic troubles, a policeman once in a while bringing in a prisoner. Two arrests made were those of James and Ethel Harris on suspicion of
being the Harris who killed Thorpe. The man and his wife live at 229 West Fortieth street, and two detectives hearing that a man named Harris lived there with his wife and that they were negroes went up and arrested them on no other evidence. They were taken to the station house and locked up. They denied knowing anything about Thorpe, and said they had had no part in the disturbances. They were finally discharged, but were afraid to leave the station and were finally given cells for the night.

The precinct was very quiet during the later hours of the morning. There were no signs of a renewal of the troubles and colored and white people passed one another without any sign that the terrible times of last night had happened at all. Fifteen patrol wagons were required to take the prisoners of the West Thirty-seventh street station to the West Side court this morning. The
rioters arrested were in a bad state. They were bandaged up in many instances, but very many of them exposed their cuts and bruises, and they did not present a very cheerful appearance.

David H. Tarr of 215 West Thirty-fifth street, the negro charged with cutting Policeman Kennedy was arraigned by Policeman Dorsey. He said he found Tarr running through West Thirty-seventh street, toward Seventh avenue. His clothing and collar were bloody, and he arrested him. He was told by another officer that Tarr had stabbed Kennedy, and Kennedy identified Tarr as one of his assailants. Lloyd Lee, another negro, was arrested at the same time on the same charge, but he was bruised and bleeding from participation in the rioting and they took him to Bellevue
Hospital. Magistrate Cornell held Tarr without bail to await the result of Kennedy's injuries.

Other prisoners were arraigned, but the police were so unprepared as to cause the magistrate great annoyance. Many of them had no witnesses, but the magistrate, in most cases, held the prisoners for examination on the officers' statement.

In the Jefferson Market court this morning the following prisoners arrested by the officers of the West Thirtieth street station were arraigned: John Shank of 631 East Thirty-seventh street. Richard Wilson of 518 East Thirty-seventh street. Margaret Wicksman of 500 West Thirty-seventh street. Charles Denis of 308 West Thirty-seventh street, James Wilson of 260 West Fifty-third street, James Harris of 229 West Fortieth street. Ethel Harris of 229 West Fortieth street, Richard Harris of 125 West Thirty-seventh street, William Knack of 12 West Thirty-sixth street, John A. Hughes of 110 West Thirty-sixth street, Henry; Miller of 135 East Thirty-fifth street, John Smadick of 210 West Forty-fourth street, John Benson of 437 West Thirty-sixth street, Richard Benning of 254 West Fifty-fourth street.

Nearly all of them were put under bonds to keep the peace for six months or held for examination where specific charges could be made. There were no disturbances this morning in the district where the rioting occurred last night and negroes and whites appeared each unconcerned by the other's presence, but the police arrangements are of the most perfect character.

To take the places of the 120 men from the West Thirty-seventh street station who will attend the funeral of the murdered policeman Inspector Walter Thompson has caused other policemen from various precincts to take their places and aside from these he has as a precautionary measure scattered 150 more policemen throughout the precinct to see that order of the strictest character is observed.

The precinct will be kept fairly alive with bluecoats until every vestige of the trouble between the whites and blacks has disappeared, and the first semblance of trouble will be quelled in the shortest order possible. With the additional policemen scattered about it is not likely,
according to Inspector Thompson, that any trouble will arise. If it does, he says, it will be of short duration.

[End of Article]

[1] [2]

Powered By Fly Design Studio