Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page














1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan Italians in Riot: 1902

Violent Demonstrations At Chief Rabbi Joseph's Funeral 1902
 Riot On A Sixth Avenue Elevated Train 1905 and Fight Over Hypnotism: A Small Riot 1909

Many Are Wounded In Brooklyn Riot 1910

Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

Riot When Supply of Coal Gives Out 1917 and The Straw Hat Riot 1922

The Harlem Riot 1943

The Stonewall Police Riot: Gay Rights 1969


View Source Of Articles Here


NY Dissenters organize First Presbyterian Church on Wall Street; Scotsmen
Robert Livingston and William Smith, Sr. among the prime movers . 1716



Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

(Continue from page 1)

 Attempts To End Strike Fail

During the day every attempt was made to effect an agreement between the strikers and the company. Patrick J. Shea, Executive of the car men's organization, started at 10 A.M. to go to the City Hall to call on Mayor Gaynor in the hope of inducing him to intercede, but he reported later that he had been unable to find Mayor Gaynor or any other city official. President S.W. Huff of the railroad company, it was said, was in Virginia, and Supt. Sullivan said that he could not act in any official capacity without concurrence on the part of President Huff. There the matter ended, both sides declaring late in the afternoon that they would await developments.

Leader Shea, for the strikers, said: "We are out to stay, and nothing can move us. I have tried everything to bring about a settlement, but there doesn't seem to be any one around to settle with. I feel positive that there will be no change in our attitude, and in any event nothing can be done until President Huff of the railroad company returns from his vacation in Virginia."

One riot, in which a woman figured occurred early in the morning at Second Avenue and Ninth Street. A Smith street car was heading for the bridge over the canal, with rioters in pursuit. The woman approached the car from the rear, pulled the pole from the wire, and fled into the crowd, leaving the men to pull the conductor and motorman from the car.

Policemen surrounded the car and a new crew of strikebreakers was put in charge. When the car reached Third Avenue the strikers rushed from their headquarters and dragged E. Dwyer of 844 Sixth Avenue off, beating him unmercifully. Dwyer, who was a passenger, and knew nothing about the strike, was taken to the Seney Hospital.

At 10 A.M. a crowd attacked a car at the same corner, beating the motorman, Patrick Schwartz, and the conductor, Thomas Flynn. Both men were taken to the Seney Hospital. The car stood in front of the strikers' headquarters for more than an hour. When a new crew finally arrived to take it back to the barns every window had been shattered. Crews Flee Their Cars

An attack was made on a car at Ninth street and Fourth Avenue after it had successfully passed through the fusillade of bricks at the corner below. James Ryan, the motorman, and John Like and George Martin, conductors, were dragged from the car and carried off bodily. Following that the crews of three other cars deserted at the same place and the four cars remained there until late in the afternoon, when strikebreakers, under police escort, marched from the car barns in a body and took them in charge. This was the signal for united action by the strikers and was followed by the greatest disorder which prevailed during the day.

The leader in this group of strike-breakers was Fred Brown, who said that he had been a strike-breaker for years. He asked permission to take charge of the first car, and it was granted without dissent on the part of his associates. He started his car down the hill on the left track instead of the right. When the car reached the strikers' headquarters at Third avenue, with the other three cars following close, it was running twenty miles an hour. He held a lighted cigar in his teeth and grinned at the strikers as he passed.

A hundred stones were hurled at him, one striking him behind the right ear, but doing little damage. Brown ran his car rapidly all the way to the car barns, where he was complimented by Supt. Sullivan. Later, it was learned that he had struck a striker at Fulton and Smith Streets earlier in the day, and that the strikers had dared him to make another trip in front of their headquarters. The other cars, each going at full speed, but with the motormen and the conductors hidden under the seats also ran the blockade successfully.

Supt. Sullivan had said just before the four stalled cars reached the car barns that he would make no more attempts to run cars after he had the four safely stored in the barns. But when he heard that the cars had been brought back with only a few windows smashed and without serious injury to any of the men he ordered the only remaining stalled car on the smith Street line to be brought to the barns by the strikebreakers.

Car Surrounded By The Mob

This car was stalled in the vicinity of Park Circle. Its fender had been demolished by a boulder rolled into the street. After this had been adjusted a crow started the car, and all went well until it reached Fourth Avenue. In front of St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church, Fourth Avenue and Ninth Street, a large crowd had collected and stones, some weighing twenty pounds, were hurled at the car, which was moving at high speed. The crowd surged into the street following the car and joining a still larger crowd near Third Avenue. Mounted police dashed alongside the escaping car and chased the crowd, but they could not reach those in the yards behind the fences, who continued to throw the stones.

Directly in front of the strikers' headquarters the car slowed up for a moment, and a ten-pound rock struck Policeman William Keyes, who was on the rear platform of the car, squarely in the head. Keyes sank to the platform, apparently dead, and a cry went up from the crowd. Mounted
Patrolman Wolff had seen the stone thrown, and rode straight into the yard surrounding the headquarters of the strikers and arrested D. Clark, a striking conductor, of 237 Bergen Street, Brooklyn. Ed Walsh, another striking conductor, of 1250 Park Avenue, interfered with Wolff and was arrested also.

With these two prisoners on their bands, six policemen held back the crowd howling for the release of the prisoners until reserves arrived in a patrol wagon. It was the critical point in the day's rioting, and thereafter the police took firmer measures to hold the crowd in check. At 6 o'clock the strikers' headquarters were entirely emptied of all loiterers by the police.

[1] [2] [3] [4]


Powered By Fly Design Studio