Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page














1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan Italians in Riot: 1902

Violent Demonstrations At Chief Rabbi Joseph's Funeral 1902
 Riot On A Sixth Avenue Elevated Train 1905 and Fight Over Hypnotism: A Small Riot 1909

Many Are Wounded In Brooklyn Riot 1910

Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

Riot When Supply of Coal Gives Out 1917 and The Straw Hat Riot 1922

The Harlem Riot 1943

The Stonewall Police Riot: Gay Rights 1969


View Source Of Articles Here


In 1706 Francis Makemie who is considered the founder of the
Presbyterian church in America, was arrested in New York for preaching
without a license. 



Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

THE MOTORMEN AND CONDUCTORS OF ALL THE LINES of the Coney Island & Brooklyn Railroad Company except the De Kalb Avenue line suddenly went on strike yesterday morning, for an increase of 2 cents an hour, and violence and rioting marked the rest of the day.

 The trouble began at dawn, when the railroad company tried to run cars over the Smith Street line, and by night more than fifty persons, several of them policemen, had been injured by rocks and other missiles hurled by the strikers or their sympathizers.

Many arrests were made, each attended by unusual mob violence, and it was conservatively stated that Brooklyn has not been the scene of greater disorder since the big street car strikes of 1895, when four regiments of State militia had to be called out to preserve order.

The strike went into effect at about 4 A.M. following two meetings of the strikers in their headquarters. Ninth Street and Third avenue, in which they discussed the ultimatum of the company that the demand for more wages would not be met. At the first meeting, held about 2 A.M., it was said that there was a division of opinion as to whether a strike should be called, but at 3 o'clock a meeting was held which was more fully representative of all of the 375 men affected, it was said, and a strike was voted unanimously.

Brooklyn did not wake up to a realization that there was a strike on until about 10 A.M., when the newspapers told of riots along the Smith Street line. The railroad company seemed surprised also, and was almost totally unprepared. Negotiations, however, had been going on since June 29, when, with the ending of the yearly agreement with the line, the local division of the Amalgamated Association of Street Railway Workers of the United States of America demanded the increased pay.

De Kalb Avenue Men Work On

This union is represented on the Smith Street Line, running from Park Row over the Brooklyn Bridge generally by way of Smith and Ninth Streets and Coney Island Avenue to Coney Island, the Franklin Avenue Line, running from Delancey Street. Manhattan, over the Williamsburg Bridge, through Franklin Avenue to Park Circle, where it forms a junction with the Smith Street Line: and the Hamilton Ferry up Hamilton Avenue and Ninth Street, connecting with the Smith Street Line at Smith Street.

The other line of the system, the De Kalb Avenue Line is not included in the strike. Employees on the line are members of the Knights of Labor, which organization signed a yearly agreement with the railroad company on June 29.

There was practically no service on the Smith Street line and Hamilton Ferry line all day yesterday. A few cars were operated on Franklin Avenue in the morning, but all traffic was suspended with the increase of violence on the Smith Street line, where the seriousness of the situation required all the attention of the officers of the railroad.

Service on the De Kalb Avenue line remained undisturbed, except that transfers to the Franklin Avenue line were of no use. Inasmuch as the company usually carries 100,000 to 200,000 persons to Coney Island on Saturdays over its lines a large amount of additional traffic was diverted to the Brooklyn Rapid Transit, making congestion on these lines even more unbearable than usual. there was little violence at the Coney Island Terminal of the lines affected by the strike, few cars having reached there.

The centre of the rioting was along the Smith Street line, which is regarded as the most important of the system. In Smith Street there were two policemen to each block, but aside from an occasional attempt to block cars by stalling wagons in the tracks, little trouble was experienced. At Smith and Ninth Streets where one of the company's car barns is located, however, there was trouble almost every minute of the day.

Many Battles At the Bridge

At this point each car which was ordered to try to make the run to Coney Island, stopped for instructions from Superintendent of Traffic, Dennis J. Sullivan. Then, manned by a strike breaking crew and several policemen, proceeded at a rapid rate up Ninth Street.

The first stumbling block was the drawbridge over the Gowanus Canal, where many strikers were hidden. There several riots took place in the early morning hours. As the Cars approached the striker's headquarters at Third Avenue and Ninth street, and from the windows strikers and their
sympathizers kept up a fuselage of stones whenever a car appeared with little danger of arrest.

Reaching Third avenue, however the strike breakers and policemen on the cars took their lives in their hands. From the Yard surrounding the strikers' headquarters and out of the building itself, as each car approached, swarmed a thousand or more men and boys, many with bricks and rocks in their hands. Rocks filled the air as the cars passed, many persons being hit. Throughout the day ambulances remained at this corner to take the injured to the hospital.

Few cars passed the corner, however, and all that did were partially demolished. There was no attempt on the part of the company to carry passengers, for no one wanted to ride after the news of the strike went through that section of the city. A single car on the Smith Street line
reached Coney Island.

Early in the morning several thousand persons were in Ninth Street, and by noon the crowd had swelled to 5,000. With the rush of the Saturday half-holiday crowd steadily increasing, the crowd at 5 o'clock numbered more than 10,000. The police were unable to handle them, and as a consequence much violence went without an arrest.

[1] [2] [3] [4]


Powered By Fly Design Studio