Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page














1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan Italians in Riot: 1902

Violent Demonstrations At Chief Rabbi Joseph's Funeral 1902
 Riot On A Sixth Avenue Elevated Train 1905 and Fight Over Hypnotism: A Small Riot 1909

Many Are Wounded In Brooklyn Riot 1910

Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

Riot When Supply of Coal Gives Out 1917 and The Straw Hat Riot 1922

The Harlem Riot 1943

The Stonewall Police Riot: Gay Rights 1969


View Source Of Articles Here


In 1830 New York City had become the premier industrial place in the
United States, a position it has never relinquished



Many Are Wounded In Brooklyn Riot 1910

IN THE STRIKE BY THE POLISH WORKMEN, in the big jute mills of the American Manufacturing Company, at Wythe Avenue and Noble Street, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn,

 John Mascos of 72 North Seventh Street, Brooklyn, a foreman, has remained loyal to the company. On that account he was beaten by the strikers several days ago.

It was decided yesterday to move him closer to the mills for his own safety, and so a truck, guarded by seven loyal employees, was sent to take him and his household effects to a house that had been rented for him close to the mills.

The truck was trailed by some of the strikers, and when the seven loyal men went into Mascos's house to get his furniture, the strikers surrounded the truck. Some took the horses from the truck and others attempted to take the wheels off.

When the seven loyal employees emerged with the first installment of furniture the rioters set upon them, scattering Mascos's household effects all over the street and sidewalks. Some tried to turn the truck over.

Meanwhile the crowd was augmented not only by strikers and their sympathizers, but by the merely curious who wanted to see what the excited gathering was all about. More than a thousand had been thus drawn together when shooting began.

Two Seriously Wounded

It is not known who started the shooting, though the police arrested two men, but in the fusillade two men fell, Frank Heitko of 93 North Eighth Street and Peter Nosel of 157 Wythe Avenue. Both of these men, it was said, were strikers, who had been shot by their comrades by mistake.

Heitko received a bullet through his left lung and Nosel was shot in the right side of the head. Both were rushed to the hospital, where it was said last night that Heitko might die. Stray bullets wounded several others slightly. It was said, but they escaped in the excitement.

In the midst of the riot some one set fire to one of Mosco's mattresses, that had been thrown to the sidewalk and torn open. The blaze spread to other furniture and some one turned in a fire alarm. That summoned Engine 12 and its tender, from North Ninth Street, which came thundering through the streets and into the midst of the crowd, that had been thinned out somewhat already by the shooting.

Policemen on strike duty at the iron works of Tuttle & Bailly, at North Tenth Street and Wythe Avenue, attracted by the shooting, arrived on the scene about the time the firemen did. They clubbed their way to the fallen men. With firemen fighting the fire, policemen fighting anybody that got in their way, and the strikers fighting each other, the rioting ran into a tangle of cross purposes.

The first set of policemen were joined by the reserves from the Bedford Avenue Station. Two men who were pointed out as having done most of the shooting were arrested, Thaddeus Yozlitis of 69 Beadle Street and Cailo Thurnik of 72 North Eighth Street. Both were charged with felonious assault.

Masco Remained In The House

Following the reserves from the Bedford Avenue Station was Capt. Dooley with all the policemen he could muster. Then the rioters and the curiosity seekers disappeared into the side streets. John Masco was escorted to the new house near the jute mills, but a large part of his furniture had been destroyed. Masco has been most unpopular with the strikers. He has been attacked on the street several times since the trouble began in the jute mills. Yesterday he remained in his house until the riot was over.

The labor troubles in the mills reached an acute stage several weeks ago, when the Polish employee went on strike. The American Manufacturing Company retaliated by declaring a lock-out, but the mills were reopened a few days ago and all who had been locked out were taken back, though the original strikers were denied work. These strikers have been giving continuous trouble since, it is charged.


Powered By Fly Design Studio