Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page














1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan Italians in Riot: 1902

Violent Demonstrations At Chief Rabbi Joseph's Funeral 1902
 Riot On A Sixth Avenue Elevated Train 1905 and Fight Over Hypnotism: A Small Riot 1909

Many Are Wounded In Brooklyn Riot 1910

Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

Riot When Supply of Coal Gives Out 1917 and The Straw Hat Riot 1922

The Harlem Riot 1943

The Stonewall Police Riot: Gay Rights 1969


View Source Of Articles Here


The Military Society of the War of 1812 was organized at the Broadway
House in New York City on January 3, 1826.



Violent Demonstrations At Chief Rabbi Joseph's Funeral 1902

MORE THAN  6,000 HEBREWS, following in the funeral procession of Rabbi Joseph, as it passed along the streets of the East Side, Manhattan, today, on its way to the cemetery,

were thrown into a frenzy of angry excitement by an attack of the employees of the R. Hoe Printing Press Company, on Grand street, near the ferry. A free fight which rapidly developed into a general riot followed; the funeral procession was interrupted, and there was intense excitement throughout the neighborhood for some time. The police were unable to cope with the crowd, although they used their clubs freely. A general alarm was sent into all the nearby police stations, and the reserves were called out. Many of the Hebrews i the procession were injured and eight arrests are known to have been made. Whether any of the injuries were serious or not is not known.

The riot in Manhattan, of which only incomplete reports have yet been made by the police, was followed only an hour later by a similar disturbance in Brooklyn. This occurred after the hearse bearing the body of Rabbi Joseph had crossed the Grand street ferry and was on its way toward Union Field Cemetery at Cypress Hills, where the interment is to take place. Proceeding from the Grand street ferry the hearse was followed by a procession of at least five thousand Hebrews, shouting and moaning. "Our Rabbi is dead! Our Rabbi is dead! God have mercy on us!"

When the procession reached the corner of Kent avenue and South Sixth street it was passing the building owned by former Mayor Wurster; some one threw a heavy block of wood from an upper window, which landed in the midst of the mourning procession. The throng which had been stirred to the highest excitement by the attack in Manhattan, set up a howl which could be heard
for many blocks and before the police could anticipate the action charged on the building. Captain Martin Short was nearby and had stationed the reserve police from neighboring precincts along the street. The angry mob of Hebrews broke through the line of policemen like paper and burst in the door of the Wurster Building.

Captain Short called all the policemen within earshot and rushed in after them. Several bluecoats stood at the door and with drawn clubs prevented the ingress of any more of the angry Hebrews, while Captain Short, with a squad of policemen, followed those who were already inside and in a few moments had thrown them out through the door.

Captain Short made an immediate investigation to learn the cause of the disturbance and found that the block of wood had been thrown by a man named William Price, a workman in the building. Before the arrival of the police at the upper story Price had disappeared and could not be found. Captain Short has ordered his arrest.

The funeral of Rabbi Jacob Joseph, who was the recognized head of the orthodox Jews of North America, was the occasion today of the greatest demonstration by the Hebrews in New York which has taken place in many years. Thousands and thousands of Hebrews thronged the East Side streets and bowed reverently as the body of the chief rabbi was conveyed in a hearse to the different Jewish churches at noon today.

Business was generally suspended in that locality, and men, women and children stood in every place of vantage along the route. Directly in front of the house where the body has laid in state for the past few days over 100 patrolmen kept the surging crowd from the entrance with considerable difficulty.

At 11:30 A.M. services were held in the late home of the Rabbi, 262 Henry street, by Rabbi Dr. Klein of the Hungarian Church. Only relatives and the visiting Rabbis were present. After the exercises the body was placed in a plain wooden box, then in a hearse and the procession proceeded to the six Jewish synagogues, where five minute services were held. The synagogues are situated on Madison street, Pike street, Eldridge street, Forsyth street, and two on Norfolk street.

Preceding the hearse were about 1,000 boys from the Hebrew schools of this city and Brooklyn. The last services were held about 1 o'clock and the mourners then took the ferry for Brooklyn. The committee in charge of the funeral were Rabbi Philip Jacobs, Israel Levy, Bennie Shapiro, Y.B. Shapiro, S. Andron, Mr. Lubetkin and Mr. Lampeat.

Early this morning the Hebrews of the Eastern District of Brownsville, and in fact of all Brooklyn, began to assemble about the ferries at the foot of Broadway to await the arrival of the funeral procession of Rabbi Joseph. Never as the district witnessed the assembling of such a throng for such an event. The streets in the neighborhood were completely blocked and the passage of cars and other vehicles was rendered impossible. The throng included men, women and children from all walks of life.

No adequate preparation had been made for the event by the police and many hours before the procession was expected to arrive the local bluecoats found it impossible to handle the throng. Upon all sides were heard the doleful voices of mourners, chanting the words, "Our rabbi is dead! The great Lord have mercy upon us!" The throng was greatly increased and the difficulties of the police aggravated by hundreds of interested spectators who gathered on the sidewalks to watch the strange spectacle.

About 10 o'clock the condition of affairs was reported to Captain Short, and he sent in a call to headquarters for reserves. The reserve police from the Lee avenue, the Bedford avenue, the Bushwick avenue, the Herbert street and the Greenpoint avenue stations were sent to the scene of activities. Every trolley car which succeeded in forcing its way through the throng was jammed to suffocation by those who wished to reach the cemetery and find places before the arrival of the funeral. The Bushwick avenue cars were wholly inadequate to carry those who boarded them.

The funeral procession reached Brooklyn about 2 o'clock and after the riot in Kent avenue proceeded on its way to Union Field Cemetery, where the interment took place later in the afternoon. Additional details of the riot in Manhattan were reported by spectators who had followed the procession to Brooklyn.

[1] [2]


Powered By Fly Design Studio