Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page














1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan Italians in Riot: 1902

Violent Demonstrations At Chief Rabbi Joseph's Funeral 1902
 Riot On A Sixth Avenue Elevated Train 1905 and Fight Over Hypnotism: A Small Riot 1909

Many Are Wounded In Brooklyn Riot 1910

Riotous Strike On Coney Lines 1911

Riot When Supply of Coal Gives Out 1917 and The Straw Hat Riot 1922

The Harlem Riot 1943

The Stonewall Police Riot: Gay Rights 1969


View Source Of Articles Here


Bogart & Kneeland one of the oldest and most respected commercial
houses in this started in business at 71 South Street in the year of 1804.



1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan  Italians in Riot: 1902

THE OBNOXIOUS BUTCHER ACCUSED of selling meat to Italians on his way to a Synagogue. Over fifteen hundred men, women and children participated in another meat riot at Brownsville this morning.

A wholesale meat dealer named George Davis was assaulted and injured and two policemen were quite seriously hurt. The policemen were endeavoring to escort Davis to a synagogue which he wished to attend when Davis was surrounded by the mob. It was not until the
reserves arrived that the man was rescued and the crowd dispersed.

The riot broke out about 10 o'clock this morning. It was the result of a meeting held at Metropolitan Saenger Hall in Pitkin avenue, where Davis was accused of refusing to close his shop and of selling meat to Italians. The police were also denounced for their interference in the disturbance of last Monday. Davis lives at 10 Belmont avenue, and when he started out from
his home the rioters were soon on his trick and in a short time the crowd swelled to thousands.

The synagogue was only a short distance but when policeman Block came , the crowd was already roughly handling Mr. Davis. There was a tussle with the ringleaders, in which the policeman took part. Policeman Adams soon joined Block, but the two officers could not disperse the crowd, which became angrier every minute. It was not until the reserves arrived on the scene that anything could be done toward driving away the assailants of Mr. Davis. The reserves used their clubs right and left and the blows which the nearest of the rioters received had the effect of opening a passageway.

Davis was taken home and then it was discovered that Policeman Block had come out of the scrimmage very much to the bad. He had been hit on the head with a brick. His shield was torn off and his uniform was practically in tatters. Two prisoners were taken. They are Max Horowitz, 25 years old of 79 Osborn street and Samuel Shapiro of 207 Osborn street.

As soon as the prisoners had been locked up in the station house the crowd again assembled. The mob surrounding the place was larger even than that which threatened Mr. Davis. It was some time before the police could again disperse it. Shapiro seemed to have been the leader of this second revolt and he was locked up for that reason.

It was a cart belonging to Davis which was seized in the first riot. At that time the mob destroyed the meat by pouring kerosene oil over it. Davis is the only dealer known to be selling meat in that section of the city. He has not attempted to sell to his Hebrew brethren, but has confined his sales to the Italians, who seem not to have the same prejudice against the meat trust. Policeman Block was blamed for the summary action taken on the occasion of the first disturbance, and it is probably due to that fact that he received the brunt of the attack.

The rescue of Davis and Policemen Adams and Block was made by the reserves under the command of Sergeant Dulfer. Further riots are feared this evening or Monday. A meeting has been called at the same hall for Monday night. It is possible that the police will attempt to prevent another assemblage there.

Manhattan Italians in Riot 1902

 Exciting Scene in Tombs Police Court When Ziropoli, the Alleged Murderer, Was Arraigned.

The Tombs police court in Manhattan was filled to overflowing this morning with excited Italians, relatives, friends and partisans of Antonio Ziropoli, the alleged murderer, and Pietro Guardino of 397 Hudson avenue, Brooklyn, the man who was murdered in a fracas in Elizabeth Street,
Manhattan yesterday.

Every seat was early occupied, the aisles were choked with people and the rear of the court room contained as many as it could possibly accommodate. Women predominated, swarthy complexioned Italian women, with flashing eyes, disheveled hair and muttering lips. Many of them gesticulated violently from time to time, making threatening motions toward the dock where Ziropli was being arraigned before Magistrate Hogan.

So threatening was the attitude of the crowd that the detectives in charge of the prisoners were afraid to take them through the court room, as is usual, to the coroners' office, after the magistrate had directed the officers to arraign them before the coroner. Instead, they were taken down stairs through the court prison, out into the street, then through a side door into the coroners' office.

In arraigning their prisoners the detectives told Magistrate Hogan they had the alleged murderer, Ziropoli, and some other prisoners they wished to have held. What these other prisoners were was not put before the court. On account of the threatening attitude of the assembled Italians, and
the fear that a riot might be precipitated, the magistrate told the detectives to take their prisoners to the coroners' office at once.

There the two factions were separated, those of the Ziropoli party being taken to Coroner Brown's room, before whom the arraignment was made, and the Guardino party to Coroner Goldenkranz's room.

[1] [2]


Powered By Fly Design Studio