A History of Episcopal Churches in the City of New York Part VI

 

 
 
  Article Tools

Print This Page

E-mail This Page To A Friend

The Protestant Episcopal Church of the Messiah

A congregation of between one and two hundred persons is assembled here, from Sabbath to Sabbath, and efforts are making to obtain a house of worship.

St. Augustine's Church

This was a small church of eighteen members, formed in the year 1834, and placed under the pastoral charge of the Rev. Thomas S. Brittan. But Mr. Brittan left i the following year, and the church became extinct.

Emmanuel Church

An Episcopal church by this name was organized June 20, 1834, with twenty-eight original members. The Rev. Francis H. Cumming was Rector. Mr. Cumming continued with this church for a little more than a year, when becoming Rector of the Calvary Church, this church was dissolved.

Church of the Nativity

The efforts which resulted in the establishment of the "Church of the Nativity," were begun by laymen in the organization of a Sabbath School near the Dry-Dock, a district of the city at that time peculiarly destitute of the means of religious instruction. A parish organization took place in April, 1834, and for more than a year, they had nothing more than a temporary place of worship, and a lay-reader. After this the Rev. Samuel Scabury officiated for a time. In the autumn of 1835, the church contained fifty-two members, and the Sabbath School numbered about one hundred and sixty in constant attendance. Toward the close of the year 1835, the Rev. William F. Walker became a stated supply, and continued with the church for one year. In the early part of 1837 the chapel was destroyed by fire; but the church, though few and weak, were not altogether discouraged; and having obtained, as a regular supply, the Rev. Solon W. Manney, in July, 1837, they made an effort to struggle on. In 1838 they succeeded in erecting a neat brick edifice on Avenue D, and Mr. Manney was duly instituted Rector of the church. In February, 1840, Mr. Manney removed from the State, and was succeeded by Rev. Anthony Ten Broeck, who remained a year, and was succeeded in April, 1842, by the Rev. Caleb Clapp, the present pastor. The seats in this church are free. The Sabbath School continues large and flourishing, and the church contains about eighty members.

St. Bartholomew's Church

In the spring of 1835, the building of a new Episcopal Church was undertaken on Lafayette place, between Great Jones street and Fourth street. In the following year the edifice was completed, and the church organized; and when admitted to the convention, in October, 1836, the church Contained seventy-three members. Of this church the Rev. Charles Vernon Kelley became Rector. In less than two years Mr. Kelley resigned the charge, and was succeeded by the present pastor, the Rev. L.P.W. Balch.

Calvary Church

This church is located on the Fourth avenue near Twentieth street. It was organized with nine members, in the year 1836. During that year a small frame building was erected on the Fourth avenue, near Thirty-fifth street, which was opened for worship on January 1st, 1837. About this time the Rev. Francis H. Cumming became Rector, and remained in this office until the summer of 1838, when he resigned the charge, and removed to Michigan. At this time the congregation had somewhat enlarged, and forty-four members were enrolled in communion. Rev. Charles Jones was the second pastor of this church, becoming such in November, 1838, and resigning the charge in 1841. About the middle of November, in that year, the Rev. Smyth Pyne became Rector of the church. For some time the location of the church had been thought unfavorable for its usefulness, as being too far up in the unsettled parts of the city; and in the spring of 1842, it was removed to its present position, near Twenty-first street, and there enlarged and repaired. Mr. Pyne remained with the church about two years, when he resigned, and was succeeded in September, 1844, by the Rev. Samuel L. Southard, the present minister. The corner stone of a new edifice, near the site of the old one, was laid by the Bishop of Michigan, on March 10th, 1841.

St. Timothy's Church

In the early part of the year 1837, an effort was made to establish an Episcopal Church, for the benefit of the German population in the city. A Presbyterian Church of German members had been organized in the year 1834, and the Rev. George Mills was installed as its pastor; but in October, 1837, the church agreed to become Episcopal, under the name of St. Timothy's Church. Mr. Mills received deacon's orders, and was appointed to the charge of the church.

In the course of that year, a house of worship was erected on Sixth street, near the Bowery, at a cost of $16,000, which was finished and consecrated, October 3d, 1838. But before this took place, the church was suddenly deprived of its minister by death. This blasted their rising hopes, and broke them up. A heavy debt lay upon the church edifice, which the congregation could not discharge, and they suffered it to be sold under foreclosure of mortgage. It was bought for $14,000, by the "Sixth Street Baptist Church," and "St. Timothy's Church" became extinct. This took place in the year 1840.

Church of the Redemption

The Baptist Church, who purchased the house of worship in Sixth street, as related above, held it about two years, when they found it necessary to dispose of it; and it was purchased for $11,000, by an Episcopal Congregation, formed November 28th, 1842, and styled "The Church of the Redemption." This church has about forty-five members. Rev. Isaac Pardee is Rector.

St. Simon's Church

Although St. Timothy's Church was scattered, yet the German population was not forgotten. Through the efforts of a few gentlemen, members of different churches, a new church of fifteen members, styled "St. Simon's", was organized in 1844, occupying a small frame building in Houston street, where the service is performed in the German language. Rev. Christian Cruse, D.D., is Rector.

Church of the Annunciation

A church under this title was organized April 16th, 1838, enrolling about fifty members, and of this church the Rev. Samuel Seabury, D.D., became Rector, and in August following the church was received into the Convention. An edifice was obtained, standing on the corner of Prince and Thompson streets, a substantial stone building, erected by the Associate Presbyterians. This building was consecrated according to the rites of the Episcopal Church, on March 25th, 1838, being the festival of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, and the church from this circumstance was called "The Church of the Annunciation." The church continued to occupy this building until the spring of the year 1845, when it was relinquished to the "Emanuel Free Church," and the church of the Annunciation retired to the chapel of the New York University, where they at present remain. Dr. Seabury is still Rector. About 100 are enrolled in communion. It is understood this church has recently purchased lots on which to build a house of worship, on Fourteenth street, between Sixth and Seventh avenues.

St. Jude's Free Church

In the month of December, 1842, the Rev. R.C. Shimeall commenced preaching in the Chapel of the New York University, with a view to the ultimate gathering of a church. His efforts were successful, and in the spring of 1843 an Episcopal Church was organized, which took the name of "St. Jude's Protestant Free Church." During that summer a small building was purchased, standing on leased ground, on the Sixth avenue, opposite Amity street. This building was enlarged and thoroughly repaired, at a cost of about $4,000, including the purchase money, and has become a very convenient and respectable house of worship, being 67 feet long, and 46 feet wide, and capable of accommodating nearly 800 persons. The building was finished during the year 1844, and the congregation removed thither. Mr. Shimeall is Rector of the Church. It is a flourishing congregation, and bids fair to be very useful in that section of the city.

French Church Du St. Sauveur

This church was organized in 1843, and had about 20 regular communicants. Rev. C.H. Williamson was appointed Rector. Having as yet no house of worship, they assemble in the "Brick Church Chapel," near the Park. The congregation is not large. All the exercises are conducted in the French language.

Church of the Saviour

The Floating Chapel for seamen was built by the "young Men's Missionary Society of the Episcopal Church," and was opened for religious worship on Feb. 15, 1844. It was built on a firm platform, of deck, covering two boats, and makes a convenient room, 70 feet long, and 30 feet wide. It is permanently moored in the East River at the foot of Pike street. As soon as the chapel was prepared, a church was organized, called the "Church of the Saviour." Rev. B.C.C. Parker is Rector.

Emmanuel Free Church

This church was received into the convention in Sept., 1845, having been formed during the year preceding. They occupy the house of worship vacated by the Church of the Annunciation, on the corner of Prince and Thompson streets. No parochial report has yet been published. Rev. Edwin A. Nichols is Rector.

Anglo-American Free Church of St. George The Martyr."

Such is the style of an Episcopal Church, established in 1845, for the particular accommodation of British Emigrants. They meet in a Hall on Broadway, near Canal street. Rev. Moses Marcus is Rector.

Church of the Holy Apostles

A church by this name was formed in 1845, under the Rectorship of the Rev. F. Thayer. They meet in a Hall on Thirty sixth street, near the eighth avenue, but have commenced building a church edifice on Twenty-eighth street, near Ninth avenue. The corner-stone was laid in April, 1846.

Church of the Holy Communion

A very costly and singular building was erected in the year 1845, on the Sixth avenue, at the corner of Twentieth street, taking the above name. It is a free church, having no pews, but is furnished with free seats. Rev. W.A. Muhlenberg is the Rector.

Church of the Crucifixion

Preaching was commenced in the Hall of the Lyceum of Natural History, on Broadway, toward the close of the year, 1845, by the Rev. John Grigg, and soon after a church under the above name was formed. The congregation is at present small.

Church of the Good Shepherd

a small Episcopal church by this name has been gathered under the ministry of Rev. R. Hoyt, meeting in a Hall on Market street, near Munroe street. The organization was effected in the early part of the year 1846.

Church of the Advent

An Episcopal church by this name was formed in the early spring of 1846, meeting on Fortieth street, near Ninth avenue. They have as yet no pastor.

End of Article

 

NOTE: Did you find this information helpful to your research? Please post your comment to  the Message Board.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: A History of Episcopal Churches in the city of New York Part VI
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: A history of the churches of all denominations in the city of New York: from the first settlement to the year 1850
Time & Date Stamp: