A History of Episcopal Churches in the City of New York Part IV

 

 
 
  Article Tools

Print This Page

E-mail This Page To A Friend

Zion Church

In the year 1801, a society of Lutherans built a small house of worship on Mott street, corner of Cross street, and here a small congregation of that denomination continued to assemble for several years, till, in 1810, they were received into communion with the Episcopal Church. There were at that time about 50 members in the church.

In 1811, Rev. Ralph Williston became their stated supply, and after two years he was instituted Rector, and continued to officiate until 1815, when the church building was consumed by fire. The church had previously increased to more than 100 members, but they were greatly scattered at this time, and it was more than two years before the house of worship was rebuilt, as it now stands. It was thought best to begin anew, and the old corporation was accordingly dissolved. The Rev. Thomas Breintnall became Rector of the church in Jan., 1819, and continued in that office until 1837, when he resigned his charge and removed from the State. he was succeeded by the Rev. William Richmond, who at that time resigned the charge of St. Michael's and St. Mary's Churches. Mr. Richmond continued to discharge the duties at Zion Church only, until the year 1842, when he became connected again with St. Michael's Church also, a part of his old charge. But he still sustained the Rectorship of Zion Church for two years longer, when he resigned it, and was succeeded by the Rev. Richard Cox, the present minister.

Calvary Church (near Corlaer's Hook).

In the early part of the year 1810, the Rev. Benjamin P. Aydelott, a physician, who had received deacon's orders, commenced preaching in the easterly part of the city, near "Corlaer's Hook," a point to which most of the missionary efforts of all denominations in the city had at some time been directed. The schoolroom of Mr. John Dick, which had been offered for the purpose, was occupied as a place of worship on the Sabbath, and here a church of eleven members was organized in August of that year, and called "Calvary Church." Mr. Aydelott continued preaching here for about a year, when he removed to Maryland, and the church became extinct. Another church of the same name was formed afterwards, which will be noticed in its proper place.

St. Luke's Church

This church was organized November 6th, 1820, having then about thirty members in communion. It was located in the north-western part of the city, toward Greenwich. A substantial brick edifice was erected on Hudson street, and opened in 1822. The first minister here was the Rev. George Upfold, M.D., who was instituted Rector in the early part of 1821, but removed to lan-singburgh in a few months, and was succeeded by the Rev. Benjamin Dorr, who remained one year, when he went to Lansingburgh, and Dr. Upfold returned to New York, and remained the Rector of St. Luke's Church for about six years, when he resigned the charge. On March 8th, 1828, he was succeeded by the Rev. Levi S. Ives, who remained about three years, when he resigned. He afterwards became Bishop of North Carolina. The next minister of St. Luke's was the Rev. William R. Whittingham, who became Rector in October, 1831, and left on account of ill health, in 1834. He is now Bishop of Maryland. The present Rector of this church is the Rev. John Murray Forbes, who commenced his labors September 26, 1834. This has become a very flourishing church and congregation. More than 250 members are enrolled in communion.

St. Thomas's Church

St. Thomas's Church, now located on Broadway, at the corner of Houston street, was organized with 23 members, on December 25, 1823, and soon after the Rev. Cornelius R. Duffie was instituted its Rector.

Measures were immediately taken to erect the present capacious house of worship, which was finished and opened February 23, 1826. The ministry of Mr. Duffie was soon terminated by his death, which took place August 20, 1827, at the age of 34. On the sixth of March, in the following year, the Rev. George Upfold was instituted Rector, and remained three years, when he resigned, and was succeeded by the Rev. Francis L. Hawks, who became Rector December 1, 1831. Dr. Hawks continued to officiate till about the close of 1843, when he resigned, and was succeeded in the follow-ing summer by the present pastor, the Rev. Henry J. Whitehouse, D.D.

All Saints' Church

This church was gathered by the persevering missionary labors of the Rev. William A. Clark. An effort had been made in the northeastern section of the city, in the year 1820, to establish a church near "Corlaer's Hook," but after about a year the project failed. In the early part of 1824, Mr. Clark commenced preaching in that part of the city, in private houses, and being encouraged with the success attending his labors, a church of a few members was organized on May 27th, in that year. Soon after this a temporary chapel was provided, situated on Grand street, at the head of Division street. At this time the church contained forty-five members. The chapel was soon filled, and arrangements were made for the erection of a permanent church edifice. A site was purchased on Henry street, corner of Scammel street, and a substantial stone building was erected, and opened for worship, on June 5th, 1828. Rev. Dr. Clark continued his labors as rector of this church, very usefully and acceptably, to an increasing congregation, until the year 1836, when he resigned the charge, and removed to the State of Michigan. In April, 1837, he was succeeded in All Saints Church, by the Rev. Benjamin I. Haight, the present pastor.

Church of the Ascension

This church was formed in the year 1827, and the Rev. Manton Eastburn became its Rector. On the 6th of April, in the following spring, the corner stone of a building was laid by Bishop Hobart, for the accommodation of this congregation; situated on Canal street, between Broadway and Elm street, and it was completed, and opened for worship May 26th, 1828. At this time the church had increased to seventy members. A large congregation was soon gathered here, but, in the summer of 1839, the church edifice was destroyed by fire; and it was then thought best to remove from that spot. The new edifice was built on Fifth avenue, corner of Tenth street, which was consecrated November 5th, 1841. In December of the next year, Dr. Eastburn resigned, having been elected Bishop of Massachusetts, and was succeeded by the present Rector, Rev. Gregory T;. Bedell, on March 19th, 1843.

St. Andrew's Church

The service of the Episcopal church was commenced at Harlem, in November, 1825. In February following, the parish was organized, and on October 20th of that year, the church was formed with eighteen members, taking the name of "St. Andrew's Church," and the Rev. George L. Hinton became its rector. A house of worship was built, and opened June 1st, 1830. The cost of the house was about $5000. Mr. Hinton died of cholera, in the summer of 1832, together with his wife and two children. After this the Rev. Mr. Coit supplied for a time and in 1834, the Rev. Abram B. Hart became Rector, and remained in office six years. He was succeeded, in 1840, by Rev. James H. Bayley, who officiated as Rector two years. When Mr. Bayley resigned, Rev. Ralph Hoyt supplied the pulpit for about one year, when, in 1843, the present pastor of the church, Rev. R. Mason Abercrombie, was instituted. The present number of communicants is forty-five.

St. Clement's Church

In the month of July, 1830, an Episcopal church was organized under the above title, and the Rev. Lewis P. Bayard was appointed Rector. They met for worship in what was called "The Long Room," in the rear of the military hall, on Barrow street. The first services were attended by only about thirty persons. During the summer the congregation increased to about one hundred and eighty, and about thirty-six were enrolled as communicants. Measures were immediately taken to erect a church edifice, which was accomplished; and the house opened for worship, May 5th, 1831. It is situated on Amity street, near Sullivan street. Dr. Bayard continued to officiate here, usefully and successfully, until the close of the year 1839, when his health failed, and he left for Europe, and finally died at Malta, September 2d, 1840. The Rev. Edward N. Mead was left in charge of the church, as a temporary supply, and after the death of Dr. Bayard, became Rector, and continues to the present time.

St. Peter's Church

St. Peter's Episcopal Church is located on Twentieth street, near the Ninth avenue, and in the neighborhood of the Episcopal Theological Seminary. A church was organized here in the summer of 1831, and the Rev. Benjamin I. Haight, who was then connected with the Theological Seminary, became a stated supply. In the course of that year, a chapel was built, which was opened as a place of worship Feb. 4, 1832. The congregation was then small, and 22 members only were enrolled in the church. Mr. Haight continued as the supply until Dec. 1, 1833, when he was duly instituted as Rector. In the next year he resigned this charge, and removed to Cincinnati, and was succeeded in the Rectorship of St. Peter's on Nov. 2, 1834, by the Rev. Smith Pyne, who remained nearly two years, when the present Rector, Rev. Hugh Smith, D.D., succeeded him. In the early part of Dr. Smith's ministry the present house of worship was built. It was completed and opened Feb. 22, 1838, after which the old chapel was converted into a parsonage house.

NOTE: Did you find this information helpful to your research? Please post your comment to  the Message Board.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: A History of Episcopal Churches in the city of New York Part IV
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: A history of the churches of all denominations in the city of New York: from the first settlement to the year 1850
Time & Date Stamp: