This was the main school in the
old Woodhaven district, the
Walker Avenue School, on the
west side of 94th Street and
south of 97th Ave. A three-room
wooden frame building was
erected in 1859 on land bought
from Isaac W. Vanderveer in 1858
and served for decades as the
only public school in Woodhaven.
In 1892 more land was bought
from the sons of John Pitkin and
the old wooden building was torn
down to make room for a large
brick, three story & basement
edifice. The cornerstone of the
new building was laid on May 29,
1893. The new school opened in
1894 and was later enlarged with
wings (1898). In May 1898 the
school was renumbered from #1 to
#58. duri8ng 1924-1927, P.S.
served as an annex. The school
was torn down in 1929-30 for the
widening of Woodhaven Boulevard.
The Principals were: Cyrus E.
Smith 1898-1917 and C.B. Jameson
At the northwest corner of 83rd
Street & 95th Avenue. The site
was bought from Florian Grosjean
in 1890. A two story & attic
brick school was erected in 1890
but the building was all but
destroyed by the cyclone of July
13, 1895. The School Board
dismantled the ruins, bought an
adjoining plot from Florian
Grosjean and began building a
newer and larger school on Feb.
17, 1896. The cornerstone was
laid on Apr. 29, 1896, and the
new building was opened for use
on Sept. 8, 1896. The new school
was a two-story and basement
brick building with a center
tower. It was enlarged in 1902,
doubling the number of
classrooms. In May 1898 the
school was renumbered from #2 to
#59.The Principals were:
1898-1900 Martin Joyce;
1901-1910 Edwin H. Chase;
1911-1916 Martin Joyce; and
1917-Mary E. McQuirk.
North side of 87th Road midway
between 80th and 85th Streets.
The site was bought in 1892 and
an additional parcel in 1897.
This small one and one half
story wooden frame building was
erected in 1893. The school was
renumbered from #3 to #60 in
1898. For most of its existence
the little building served as an
annex of #59 (1898-1917) and
later of #97. The Principals
were: 1899-Martin Joyce; and
1903-1909-Edward H. Chase.
The old Brooklyn Hills School,
on the south side of 89th
Avenue, midway between 102nd and
104th Streets. The site was
bought in 1892 and the school
was erected in 1893. It was a
small 1 1/2 story wooden frame
school, an architectural
duplicate of P.S. #60. After
1922 P.S. #61 became an annex of
P.S. #66. The Principals were:
1898-1903 Cyrus E. Smith;
1904-1905-Frances H. Selley;
1906-1920 Kate M. Westbay; and
1921- Alonzo Cornell.
The original #63 (old #6) was on
the south side of Pitkin Avenue
at the foot of Sitka Street.
This was a small 1 1/2 story
wooden frame building on land
bought from William B. Doxsey in
Sept. 1897. The school was
erected in 1898. In 1926-7 the
school had to be torn down when
Linden Boulevard was put
through. A new school was
erected on a new site on the
north side of Sutter Avenue
between 90th and 91st Streets.
The old building served as an
annex for P.S. #46 (1918-1923)
and then for P.S. #58
(1924-1927). Long called the
South Woodhaven School.
Principals were: 1898-1900
Martin Joyce and 1901- Edwin H.
Chase. New school begins in 1928
with John A. Loope as principal.
(Old #7) on the north side of
101 st Avenue between 82nd and
83rd Streets, just two blocks
away from and directly south of
P.S. #59. The site was bought in
September 1897 and the school
was erected in 1898. The school
was a 2 1/2 story brick
building, enlarged in 1902. This
school and #65 were
architectural duplicates. Opened
in Sept. 1901. The Principals
were: 1903-1909 Edward H. Chase;
1910-1917; 1918-1919 B.C.
Peixcote; 1920-1924 Mabel
Sondheim; 1925-1928 Elizabeth
Clark; 1929- Jennie M.
On the west side of 78th street
between 87th Avenue & 87th Road.
The site was bought from Charles
V. Lott in September 1897 and
the school was erected in 1898.
It was a 2 1/2 story brick
building, a duplicate of #64,
and enlarged in 1905. Before
1918 the school acted as an
annex of #59, after 1918 as an
annex of #97. The Principals
were: 1898-1900 Martin Joyce;;
1901-1917 Edwin H. Chase;
1918-1928 Martin Joyce and 1929-
Mary G. Hickey.
The Brooklyn Hills School, on
the east side of 102nd Street
between 85th Avenue and 85th
Road. A large brick 2 1/2 story
& basement building with a
central tower, an architectural
duplicate of School #64. Built
in 1898 and enlarged in 1906 and
1908. Opened Feb. 1, 1901.
Principals were: 1903-William A.
Drummond; 1904-1907 Frances A.
Seeley; 1908-1911 Charles B.
Jameson; 1912-1925 Frances H.
Seeley; 1926-1930 Joseph E.
On the West side of 85th Street
between 85th Drive and 86 Ave.
in the Forest Park East section.
A modern brick school, four
stories high and built in
modified Collegiate Gothic style
with castellated roof. Built
1916 and opened in 1917.
Principals were: 1917-1928
Martin Joyce; 1929 Maxwell F.