A Woman Beaten In A Shocking Manner By A Drunken Ruffian 1879


Ellen Gorman, a widow aged 35 years, is lying at the City Hospital, suffering from shocking injuries which she received on the night of the 3d inst. at the hands of a peddler named Cornelius Tracy, of No. 28 Raymond street. The circumstances of the cowardly assault are barbarous in the extreme, and the unfortunate woman is in a condition which has excited the apprehensions of her medical attendants that her injuries will result fatally.

Mrs. Gorman was left a widow a few months ago, with a daughter 6 years old, and having no home of her own received temporary shelter at the house of a Mrs. Moore, No. 235 Sands street. it seems that on the night of the 3d inst. a number of drunken sailors and others congregated in the house and acted in a violent and ruffian manner. Mrs. Gorman, fearing for her own safety and that of her child, went to pass the night in a vacant room on the top floor. She had scarcely laid down to rest when Cornelius Tracy, who was one of the drunken gang downstairs, entered the room and attempted to outrage her, but she made such a stubborn resistance that he was obliged to desist and left the room. Soon afterward he returned and said that he had lost $4.65 from his pocket, and accused Mrs. Gorman of having stolen it. The woman denied that she knew anything about the money, when the ruffian seized her by the hair, dragged her round the room, and for fully five minutes BEAT AND KICKED HER on the body and face in a most brutal manner. The poor woman attempted to scream for assistance, but he placed his hands upon her mouth and swore he would kill her outright if she raised any outcry. He finally left her, covered with blood and beaten and kicked almost into insensibility, and went down stairs and rejoined his drunken companions.

During the night Tracy found his missing money on the floor, and in the morning he went up stairs, begged his victim to forgive him for what he had done, and gave her a small sum of money by way of a peace offering. On the following day, more dead than alive, she dragged herself from the house and went to the City Park, where she met an old friend named Mrs. Ann Carney, who kindly took her to her residence, No. 3 Franklin place, where she remained till late last evening. An effort was made to hush up the matter, but yesterday afternoon Mrs. Carney fearing the woman was going to die, went to the York street station and notified Captain Crafts, who on hearing the history of the case took prompt measures to have Tracy arrested. He was found, last night, by Officer Burke, and taken to the station house and locked up. This morning he was arraigned before Justice Walsh, and committed to jail to await the result of Mrs. Gorman's injuries.


Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: A Woman Beaten In A Shocking Manner By A Drunken Ruffian 1879
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina


The Brooklyn Daily Eagle May 8, 1879
Time & Date Stamp: