Origin Of The Names Of Streets In NYC  G-W
 

 
 
Pages:105-106

G

Gansevoort street- was named after Brigadier General Peter Gansevoort, who rendered important service in checking Burgoyne, for which he received a vote of thanks from Congress.

Goerck street and Mangin street- were named after Sir James Goerck and his son Mangin.

Gouverneur street- was named after General Isaac Gouverneur.

Great Jones street- belongs to the estate of Chief Justice David Jones, who was prominent in politics during the latter part of the eighteenth century.

Greene street- honors the name of General Nathaniel Greene.

Greenwich—The Greenwich Village Road.

H-L

Hanover Square—From the house of Hanover, of which King George
was a member.

Hester street was so called by Barnet Rynders in honor of his wife,Hester, daughter of Jacob Leisler.

Jacob—Jacobus Roosevelt, owner of property in the vicinity, referred to in another chapter.

Lewis street- honors the name of Morgan Lewis, a stanch patriot who fought in the Revolutionary War.

Liberty—From the name dear to every one.

Lispenard street- formed a part of the farm owned by Anthony Lispenard.

Ludlow street- recalls the name of Gabriel Ludlow, clerk of the House of Assembly.

M

Macdougal street- was named after Alexander Macdougal, a noted "Son of Liberty."

Maiden Lane—Maagde Paatje, or Maiden's Path. Once a path beside a stream where the lover and the lass walked and told sweet nothings to each other.

Mercer street- recalls the name of Brigadier General Hugh Mercer, who advised the "night march" on Princeton, and who, rallying his men on that occasion, received his death blow.

Moore street- commemorates the name of Colonel John Moore, a prominent merchant and official.

Morris—From Gouverneur Morris.

Morton street- honors the name of John Morton, a well known merchant of old New York, who advanced large sums of money to the Continental Congress.,

Mott street- was named after a successful butcher, Joseph Mott.

N-S

Nassau (Pye-woman's Lane)—From the Prince of Orange and Nassau.

New—The first street opened by the English.

Pearl—Pearl shells were found along it when it was a path in the old days.

Perry street- was named after Oliver Hazard Perry, the hero of Lake Erie.

Pitt street- was named after William Pitt, Earl of Chatham.

Rector—Rector of church property mentioned in another chapter.

Ridge street- was a natural ridge along the top of a hill on James De Lancey's farm. The slope from Ridge street to the East River still exists.

Roosevelt—From Isaac Roosevelt, of pre-Revolutionary fame.

Rutherford street- recalls the name of Colonel John Rutherford, who was one of the committee who planned the present system of numeral avenues and streets.

Spring street- owes its name to the discovery of a spring in that neighborhood about the year 1800.

Stone—Some say the first street in the old town to be paved with stone.

Sullivan street- was named after Brigadier General John Sullivan, one of the most active officers of the Revolutionary War, who received the personal thanks of Washington for his services in Westchester.

T-W

Tinpot Alley—From the Dutch words Tuyn Paat, which do not mean tinpot, but garden road or lane.

Tryon Row—From Sir William Tryon, the last English Governor to bother the colonists.

Vandam street- honors the name of Rip Van Dam, of Dutch descent,who in the year 1731 occupied the position of Governor.

Varick street- was cut through the property of Colonel Richard Varick,who at one time was Mayor of New York.

Vesey—From the Rev. W. Vesey, Trinity's first minister.

Wall street- owes its name to the wall of palisades that originally marked its path.

Warren street- was named after Sir Peter Warren.

Water—From the ground being submerged in the old days.

Watts street- preserves the memory of John Watts, the last city Recorder under English rule.

Waverley Place- received its name in response to a petition from residents of the neighborhood, who were great admirers of Sir Walter. Scott's novels.

Whitehall—From the road that led to the White Hall, Stuyvesant's residence.

Wlllett street- was named after Marinus Willett, a Revolutionary hero,whose beautiful mansion stood on the site of the present little houses, Nos.2 and 4 Willett street. The grounds extended from Willett street down to the East River. South William street was originally called Mill street, and here the.first Jewish synagogue was erected.

William—The first half of William Beekman's name.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Origin Of The Names Of Streets In NYC  G-W
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Cradle Days of New York (1609-1825) by Hugh Macatamney; New York-Drew & Lewis, Publishers 1909
Time & Date Stamp: