Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter U-W

 
 

U

UNION COURT was formerly on University Place between 12th and 13th Sts.

UNION PLACE was the former name of the west side of 4th Ave. and the east side of Broadway between 14th and 17th Sts.

UNION ROAD formerly ran from the Skinner Road, in the block bounded by 5th and 6th Aves., 11th and 12th Sts., northwesterly to the Southampton Road at 7th Ave. and I5th St.

UNION STREET was the former name of Greene St.

V

VAN BRUGGEN STREET was the former name of Pine St.

VAN NEST PLACE was the former name of Charles St. between 4th and Bleeker Sts.

VARRICK PLACE was the former name of Sullivan St. between Houston and Bleeker Sts.

VERDANT LANE ; also called Feitners Lane ; was a country road which started at the Bloomingdale Road (Broadway) between 45th and 46th Sts., and ran northwesterly crossing 8th Ave. between 46th and 47th Sts.. 9th Ave. between 47th and 48th Sts., 10th Ave. between 48th and 49th Sts., 11th Ave. between 49th and 50th Sts., and ended at the Hudson River between 49th and 50th Sts.

VILLAGE STREET was the former name of West Houston St. between Macdougal St. and the East River.

W

WALKER STREET was the former name of Canal St. between Baxter and Ludlow Sts.

WARREN PLACE was the former name of Charles St. between Greenwich Ave. and Waverly Place.

WARREN ROAD was a country road in Greenwich Village which ran from the Southampton Road to Love Lane, from the present 16th to 21st Sts. between 6th and 7th Aves.

WARREN STREET was the former name of Clinton St.

WALNUT STREET was the former name of Jackson St.

WASHINGTON ALLEY was the former name of Washington Mews.

WASHINGTON STREET was the former name of Jefferson St.

WEASVER STREET was the former name of Vesey St.

WENDEL STREET was the former name of Oak St.

WESLEY PLACE was the former name of Mulberry St. between Houston and Bleeker Sts.

WEST COURT was formerly in the rear of No. 66 West 22nd St. West Avenue, see Albany Road.

WEST BROADWAY PLACE was the former name of West Broadway between Canal and Grand Sts.

WHITE PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 134 West 18th St.

WHITE STREET was the former name of Ann St.

WILLIAM STREET was the former name of Broome St. between the Bowery and Sullivan St. ; was known by this name in 1797.

WILLIAM STREET was the former name of West 4th St. between Christopher and West 13th Sts. ; known by this name in 1807.

WILLIAM STREET was the former name of Madison St. between Catherine and Montgomery Sts.

WILLOW STREET was the former name of Macdougal St.

WINCKEL STRAET was a short street running north from Bridge St. just east of Whitehall St. It was closed in 1680.

WINDMILL LANE was a former name of Cortlandt St. Known by this name in 1728.

WINNE (or WYNNE) STREET was the former name of Mott St between Pell and Bleeker Sts. Known by this name in 1755.

WINTHROP PLACE was the former name of Greene St. between Waverly Place and West 8th St.

WOOSTER STREET was the former name of West Houston St., between Broadway and Macdougal St.

WOOSTER STREET was the former name of University Pl. between Waverly Pl. and West 14th St.

WYNKOOP STREET was the former name of Bridge St.

END OF LIST

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter U-W
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: