Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter S-T

 
 

S

SACKETT STREET was the former name of Cherry St.

ST. CLAMMENT'S PLACE was the former name of Macdougal St. between Houston and Bleeker Sts.

ST. DAVID STREET was one of the former names of Bleeker St.

ST. HEVINS STREET was the former name of Broome St. between Broadway and Hudson St. ; was known in 1755 as St. Hevins St.; known in 1766 as Bullock St.; known in 1797 in part as Bullock St. and in part as William St., and in part as Orchard St. ; known since 1807 as Broome St.

ST. JOHNS STREET was the former name of John St.

ST. MARKS PLACE was the former name of East 8th St.

ST. NICHOLAS STREET was the former name of Walker St. between Canal St. and West Broadway.

ST. NICHOLAS STREET was the former name of Canal St. between Walker St. and the Bowery.

ST. PETERS PLACE was the former name of Church St. between Vesey and Barclay St.

SCHAAPE WAYTIE (The Sheep Pasture) was the Dutch name of Broad St. between Beaver and Wall Sts.

SCOTT STREET was the former name of West 12th St. between Greenwich Ave. and Hudson St.: was also known as Troy St. and Abingdon Place.

SCOTT'S ALLEY formerly ran south from No. 71 Franklin St. to White St.

SECOND STREET was the former name of Greene St.

SECOND STREET was the former name of Forsythe St.

SEVENTH STREET was the former name of Macdougal St.

SEVENTH STREET PLACE was a short alley, seven houses long, in the rear of No. 185 Seventh St.

SHINEBONE ALLEY was the former name of Washington Mews : was also known as Washington Alley.

SIXTH STREET was the former name of Sullivan St.

SIXTH STREET was the former name of Waverly Place, between Broadway and Macdougal St.

SIXTH STREET was the former name of Ludlow St. It was known by this name in 1797.

SKINNER ROAD was the former name of Christopher St.

SKINNER STREET was the former name of Cliff St. between Ferry and Hague Sts. ; known by this name in 1755 ; known since 1791 as Cliff St.

SLAUGHTER HOUSE LANE, Slaughter House Street, Sloat Lane, were the former names of Beaver St. between William and Pearl Sts. ; name changed to Beaver St. Dec. 25, 1825.

SLYCK STEEGH ("Dirty Lane") was the Dutch name of a lane which was afterwards widened and is now South William St. In 1657 known as Slyck Steegh; in 1674, Mill Street Lane; in 1691, Mill Lane.

SMELL STREET LANE was the former name of Broad St. between Exchange Place and Wall St.

SMITH COURT was a short alley which formerly ran from Congress St.

SMITH STREET, Smee Straet, Smeedes Straet, Smit Street, were the former names of William St. between Wall and Pearl Sts.

SMITH STREET was the former name of Cedar St. between William and West Sts. ; known in 1691 as Smith St. ; known in 1728 as Little Queen St. ; known since 1794 as Cedar St.

SMITH STREET was the former name of East Broadway.

SMITH STREET LANE was the former name of Beaver St. between William and Broad Sts.

SMITH STREET VALLEY, Smith's Vail, Smith's Valley, Smith's Vly, were the former names of Pearl St. between Wall St. and Peck Slip.

SOUTHAMPTON ROAD, Great Kiln Road, was the principal road leading north from Greenwich Village. It started at Gansevoort St., this street being part of the original road; from the present easterly end of Gansevoort St. it ran northeasterly, crossing 8th Ave. at 14th St., 7th Ave. between 15th and 16th Sts.. 6th Ave. at 17th St., then running northerly, just east of 6th Ave., and ending at Love Lane, about the present 21st St. a little east of 6th Ave.

SOUTH FIFTH AVENUE was the former name of West Broadway between Canal St. and Washington Sq.

SPENCER PLACE was the former name of West 4th St. between Christopher and West 10th Sts.

SPINGLER PLACE was the former name of East 15th St. between Broadway and 5th Ave.

STADT HUY LANE was the Dutch name of Coenties Alley.

STANTON PLACE was an alley formerly in the rear of No. 6 Stanton St.

STEWART STREET formerly ran from Broadway between 30th and 31st Sts., southwesterly to a point in the block bounded by 6th Ave. and 7th Ave., 28th and 29th Sts.

STILLWELL'S LANE was a country road which started at the Bloomingdale Road (the present Broadway) and 87th St. and ran easterly, about 150 feet east of Amsterdam Ave. it turned southerly, turning again easterly between 85th and 86th Sts. and ended in the present Central Park on a line with 7th Ave. and 86th St.

STONE STREET was the former name of Pearl St.

STONE STREET was the former name of Thames St.

Stone Bridge Street was one of the former names of Broadway.

STRAND, The, was the name of the north side of Pearl St. between Broad St. and Old Slip ; was known by this name when Pearl St. was fronting on the East River.

STRIKER'S LANE, see Hopper's Lane.

STUEBEN STREET formerly ran from the Eastern Post Road and 41st St. northwesterly to the Albany Road between 43rd and 44th Sts.

STUYVESANT PLACE was the former name of 2nd Ave. between 7th and 10th Sts.

STUYVESANT STREET. The present street of this name, which now ends at 2nd Ave., formerly continued northeasterly, crossing 1st Ave. between 12th and 13th Sts., Ave. A at 14th St., and
ended at the East River about the present 15th St. between Avenues A and B.

SUGAR LOAF STREET was the former name of Franklin St. between Broadway and Baxter St. ; was known by this name in 1807.

SUICE STRAET was the Dutch name of William St. between Hanover Square and William Sts.

SUSAN STREET was a country road in the Kip's Bay Farm. It ran from the Eastern Post Road, the present Lexington Ave. between 38th and 39th Sts. southeasterly, crossing 38th St.between 2nd and 3rd Aves., and ending at the East River between 37th and 38th Sts.

T

THIRD STREET was the former name of Wooster St.

THIRD STREET was the former name of Eldridge St.

THOMAS STREET was the former name of Duane St. between Elm and Rose Sts.

THOMAS STREET was the former name of Pearl St. between Broadway and Park Row.

THOMAS STREET was the former name of William St. between Frankfort and Pearl Sts.

THOMAS STREET was the former name of Thames St.

THOMPSON'S COURT was an Alley which formerly ran from No.363 Rivington St.

TIENHOVEN STREET was the former name of Liberty St. ; known in 1691 as Crown St. ; name changed to Liberty St. in 1794.

TIENHOVEN STREET was the former name of Pine St.

TIN POT ALLEY was the former name of Exchange Alley; was also known as Oyster Pasty Alley.

TOMPKIN'S PLACE was the former name of East 10th St. between Greenwich Ave. and the Hudson River.

TORBET STREET was a country road on the Rutger's Farm ; it ran from Henry to Madison Sts. between Catherine and Market Sts.

TROY STREET was the former name of West 12th St. between Greenwich Ave. and the Hudson River.

TULIP STREET was a country road on the Glass House Farm. It ran from 34th St. between 10th and llth Aves, southerly to a point in the block bounded by 9th and 10th Aves., between 32nd and 33rd Sts.

TURIN LANE was a country road which ran from the Bloomingdale Road (Broadway) between 93rd and 94th Sts. and ran easterly, ending at the Eastern Post Road, about the present 96th St.

TUYN STRAET was the name given to the present Exchange Place by the Dutch.

TYRON ROW formerly ran from Center St. to Park Row on the ground now occupied by the south end of the Municipal Building.
 

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter S-T
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: