Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter P-R

 
 

P

PACIFIC PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 133 West 39th St.

PARK STREET was the former name of Park Row between Ann and Beekman Sts.

PASSAGE PLACE was the former name of Peck Slip.

PARTITION STREET was the former name of Fulton St. between Broadway to the Hudson River ; east of Broadway this street was called Fair St.

PATCHIN PLACE was an Alley in the rear of No. 111 West 10th St.

PETTICOAT LANE was the former name of Marketfield St. ; it was known by this name in 1791.

PENN STREET was the former name of Pell St.

PETERSFIELD STREET was a country road on the Stuyvesant Farm ; it started about the present 4th Ave. between 11th and 12th Sts., crossing 3rd Ave. between 12th and 13th Sts., 2nd Ave. between 13th and 14th Sts., 1st Ave. at 15th St. and ended in the center of the block bounded by 1st Ave., Ave. A, 15th and 16th Sts.

PITT STREET was the former name of Elm St. (now Lafayette St.) between Hester and Spring St. ; known by this name in 1797.

PRINCE STREET was the former name of Rose St. ; known by this name in 1766.

PRINCESS STREET was the former name of Beaver St. between William and Wall Sts. During the time of the Dutch it was known as Prinsen Straet.

PROSPECT STREET was the former name of Thompson St.

PROVOST STREET was the former name of Franklin St. ; known by this name in 1797 ; known as Sugar Loaf St. in 1807 ; name changed to Franklin St. in 1833.

PUMP STREET was the former name of Canal St. It was known by this name in 1797.

PYE WOMANS LANE, was the former name of Nassau St. between Wall St. and Maiden Lane.

Q

QUAY STREET was the former name of Water St. between Whitehall St. and Coenties Slip.

QUEEN STREET was the former name of Pearl St. between Wall St.and Park Row. This street was known by various names at different periods ; known in 1657 as Pearl Street ; and in part Hoogh Straet and the Waal; in 1691 as Dock St.; and Great Queen St. ; in 1728 as Queen St., and since 1797 as Pearl St.

QUEENE STREET was the former name of Cedar St. between William and West Sts.

QUEENE STREET was the former name of Pine St. ; was known by this name in 1691 ; known as King St. in 1728 ; name changed to Pine St. in 1794.

QUICK STREET was the former name of East Broadway.

R

RAISON STREET, see Reason St.

RANDALL PLACE was the former name of West 9th St. between Broadway and University Pl.

REASON STREET was the former name of Barrow St. between Bleeker and Bedford Sts. ; name changed in 1828.

RENWICK STREET was the former name of Baxter St. between Canal and Grand Sts.

RHINELANDER ALLEY formerly ran from Greenwich to Washington Sts. between Beach and Hubert Sts.

RHINELANDER LANE was a country road which ran from the Hell Gate Ferry Road at the present 2nd Ave. between 86th and 87th St. northeasterly to the south side of 90th St. between 1st Ave. and Ave. A.

RIDER STREET, Ridder Street, was the former name of Ryder's Alley.

RIKER'S LANE was a country road which ran from the Eastern Post Road, about the present 3rd Ave. and 76th St. and ran southeasterly, ending at the East River between 74th and 75th Sts.

RIVINGTON PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 316 Rivington St.

ROOSEVELT LANE was a country road which ran from the Old Harlem Road, about the present Lexington Ave. between 116th and 117th Sts., southeasterly, crossing 3rd Ave. at 115th St., 2nd Ave. at 112th St., then northwesterly to a point in the middle of the block bounded by 1st and 2nd Aves., 114th and 115th Sts., then southeasterly to the Harlem River between 110th and 111th Sts.

ROTTEN ROW, Rough Street, Ruff Street, were the former names of Henry St.

ROY ROAD, FitzRoy Road, was a country road which ran north from Greenwich Village ; it started at the Southampton Road about the present 14th St. between 7th and 8th Aves., and ran northwesterly, crossing 8th Ave. at 22nd St., then north, parallel with and a little west of 8th Ave. and ending at a cross road about the present 42nd St. midway between 8th and 9th Aves. 9th Ave. was closed from 23rd to 42nd Sts. on Oct. 26, 1832.

ROBINSON STREET was the former name of Park Place.

ROSYLYN PLACE was the former name of Greene St. between West 3rd and West 4th Sts.

RUDDER STREET was the former name of Ryder's Alley.

RUSSELL PLACE was the former name of Greenwich Avenue between Charles and Perry Sts.

RUTGER'S HILL was the former name of Gold St. between Maiden Lane and John St.

RUTGER'S PLACE was the former name of Monroe St. between Clinton and Jefferson Sts.

RUTGER'S STREET was the former name of Oak St. ; known by this name in 1755.

RYNDERT STREET, Rindert Street, was the former name of Center St. between Canal and Broome St. ; known in 1797 as Potters Hill ; known in 1807 as Collect St. ; known in 1817 as Ryndert St.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter P-R
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: