Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter M-O

 
 
M (continue)

MEADOW STREET was the former name of Grand St. between Broadway and Sullivan St.

MECHANICS ALLEY formerly ran from No. 72 Monroe St. south to Cherry St. between Market and Pike Sts. ; now the site of the Brooklyn Bridge approach.

MECHANICS PLACE formerly ran from the east side of Avenue A, between 2nd and 3rd Sts.

MEEK'S COURT was formerly in the rear of 55 Broad St.

MERCHANTS COURT was in the rear of No. 48 Broad St.

MERCHANTS PLACE formerly ran in the rear of No. 28 Avenue A, between 2nd and 3rd Sts.

MECHANICS PLACE formerly ran in the rear of Rivington St. between Lewis and Goerck Sts.

MERCHANT STREET was the former name of Beaver St.

MESSIER'S ALLEY was the former name of Cuyler's Alley.

MIDDLE ROAD was a country road which started at the Eastern Post Road, about the present 4th Ave., between 28th and 29th Sts., and ran northwesterly, crossing Madison Ave. at 35th St. At 5th Ave. and 42nd St. (Burr's Corners) it turned northerly along the line of 5th Ave. to 90th St., where it terminated at the Eastern Post Road.

MIDDLE STREET was the former name of Monroe St. from Montgomery to Corlaer Sts.

MILL STREET was the former name of Stone St.

MILL STREET was the former name of South William St. between Broad St. and Mill Lane.

MILLER PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 4 Macdougal St.

MILLIGAN PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 139 Sixth Ave. between 10th and 11th Sts.

MILLWARD PLACE was formerly the name of West 31st St. between 8th and 9th Aves.

MITCHELL PLACE was the former name of the north side of East 49th St. between 1st Ave. and Beekman Place.

MONROE PLACE was the former name of Monroe St. between Montgomery and Gouverneur Sts.

MOORE'S ROW was formerly between Catherine and Market Sts. and ran from Henry to Madison Sts.

MONUMENT LANE was a country road leading to Greenwich Village It started at the Bowery and Astor Place and ran easterly, then northeasterly, following the present Greenwich Ave.; which is a part of the old road; and ended at Gansevoort St.

MORTKILE STREET was the former name of Barclay St.

MORTON STREET was the former name of Clarkson St. between Varrick and Hudson Sts.

MOTT'S LANE, see Hopper's Lane.

MUSTARY STREET was the former name of Mulberry St. between Park Row and Park St.

N

NEILSON PLACE was the former name of Mercer St. between Waverly Place and 8th St.

NEW STREET was the former name of Nassau St.

NEW STREET was the former name of Staple St.

NICHOLAS STREET was the former name of Walker St. between Canal St. and West Broadway.

NICHOLAS STREET was the former name of Canal St. between Baxter and Division Sts.

NIEUW STRAET was the Dutch name of New Street.

NORTH STREET was the former name of East Houston St. between the Bowery and the East River ; name was changed in 1833.

NYACK PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 31 Bethune St.

O

OGDEN STREET was the former name of Perry St.

OLD STREET was former name of Mott St. between Park Row and Park St.

OLD KILN ROAD, see Southampton Road.

OLD WINDMILL LANE, see Windmill Lane.

OLIVER STREET was the former name of Spring St. between the Bowery and Broadway.

ORANGE STREET was the former name of Baxter St. between Park Row and Grand St.

ORANGE STREET was the former name of Cliff St.

ORCHARD STREET was the former name of Broome St. west of Broadway.

OTTERS ALLEY formerly ran from Thompson to Sullivan Sts. between Broome and Grand Sts.

OYSTER PASTY ALLEY was the former name of Exchange Alley, was also known as Tin Pot Alley.
 

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter M-O
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: