Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter J-K

 
 
J

JACKSON AVENUE was the former name of University Place.

JACKSON PLACE was an alley which ran north from No. 16 Downing St. ; now called Downing Place.

JAUNCEY LANE was a country road which started between 93rd and 94th Sts., just west of West End Ave., and ran easterly crossing 8th Ave. at 94th St. and ending at the Eastern Post Road ; about the present line of 96th St. between 5th and 6th Aves.

JAUNCEY COURT was in the rear of Nos. 37, 39 and 41 Wall St.

JEW'S ALLEY was the former name of South William St. between Broad Street and Mill Lane.

JEW'S ALLEY formerly ran from Madison St. between Oliver and James Sts.

JONE'S COURT was in the rear of Nos. 48. SO Wall St.

JONES STREET was the former name of Great Jones St.

JUDITH STREET was the former name of Grand St. between the Bowery and Center St.

K

KING STREET was the former name of Pine St. It was laid out about 1691 and was known as Queen St. ; known in 1728 as King St. ; name changed to Pine St. in 1793.

KING STREET was the former name of William St. between Hanover Square and Wall St.

KING GEORGE STREET was the former name of William St. from Frankfort St. easterly to Pearl St. ; known by this name in 1755.

KINGSBRIDGE ROAD branched off from the Eastern Post Road a little north of McGowns Pass, about the present line of 108th St. between 5th and Lenox Aves., and ran northwesterly along the present St. Nicholas Ave. to 169th St., from there it followed along the present Broadway to the Harlem River, crossing the river on the old Kingsbridge.

KINGSBRIDGE ROAD. There was a second road known by this name which started in the Village of Harlem ; about the present Sylvian Place, between 3rd and Lexington Aves.120th and 121st Sts., and ran northwesterly to 124th St. and Park Ave., then along 124th St. to the west line of Mount Morris Park, continuing northwesterly to 127th St. between Lenox and 7th Aves., then southwesterly to a point in the block bounded by Lenox and 7th Aves., 126th and 127th Sts. then northwesterly to St. Nicholas Ave. between 131st and 132nd Sts., where it joined the other Kingsbridge Road.

KINGS ROAD was the former name of Pearl St. between Franklin Square and Park Row.

KINGS HIGHWAY was one of the former names of Park Row and the Bowery.

KIP STREET was the former name of Nassau St. between Maiden Lane and Spruce St.

KIPS BAY STREET was a country road which started at the Eastern Post Road, the present Madison Ave. and 35th St. and ran southeasterly, crossing 2nd Ave. at 34th St. and ended at the
East River at the foot of 34th St.

KNAPP PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 412 East 10th St. between Avenue C and Dry Dock Street.

KONINCK STREET was a former name of Pine St.
 

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter J-K
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: