Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter G-H

 
 
G

GARDEN LANE was the former name of Exchange Alley; was also known as Tin Pot Alley.

GARDEN ROW was the former name of Nos. 140 to 158 West 11th St.

GARDEN STREET was one of the former names of Exchange Place. This Street was laid out during the Dutch rule and was called by them Tuyn (Garden) Straet; in 1691 it was known as Church St., in 1728 as Garden St. and a part as Flattenbarrack ; in 1797 it was all called Garden St.

GARDEN STREET was the former name of Cherry St. from Montgomery to Corlaers Sts.

GARDINER STREET was the former name of Tompkins St.

GEN. GREENE STREET was the former name of Governeur St.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Beekman St.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Bleeker St. between Hancock and Bank Sts.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Hudson St.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Market St. between Division and Cherry Sts. It was known by this name in 1791.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Park St.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Rose St.

GEORGE STREET was the former name of Spruce St. It was laid out about 1725 as George St. ; in 1817 it was known as Little George St.

GERMAIN STREET was the former name of Carmine St.

GIBB ALLEY ran from Madison St., between Oliver and James Sts.,northwesterly about one-half a block.

GILBERT STREET was the former name of Barrow St. between Bleeker and West 4th Sts.

GILFORD PLACE was the former name of East 44th St. between 3rd and Lexington Ave.

GLASSMAKERS STREET, Glazier Street, was a former name of William St. between Pearl and Wall Sts.

GLOVER PLACE was one of the former names of Thompson St. between Spring and Prince Sts.

GOLDEN HILL was the former name of John St. between William and Pearl Sts.

GRAND AVENUE was the former name of 125th St.

GREAT DOCK STREET was one of the former names of Pearl St. This street was known in 1657 as Pearl St. ; in the same year was also known as Hoogh St. and the Waal ; in 1691 as Great Dock and Great Queen Sts.; in 1728 as Queen St.; in 1728 as Queen St. in 1797 it was known as Pearl St. as far north as Park Row, the rest being called Magazine St. Since 1807 the entire street has been known as Pearl St.

GREAT GEORGE STREET was the name Broadway, north of the City Hall Park, was known by in 1791.

GREAT KILN ROAD see Southampton Road.

GREEN ALLEY or LANE was the former name of Liberty Place.

GREENWICH LANE was the former name of Gansevoort and Greenwich Ave.

GREENWICH STREET, Washington St. was called by this name at one time.

GREEN STREET was a former name of Liberty St.

GARRY PLACE was the former name of West 35th St. between 7th and 8th Aves.

H

HAMILTON PLACE was the former name of West 5lst St. between Broadway and 8th Ave.

HAMMERSLY STREET was the former name of West Houston Street between Macdougal St. and the Hudson River.

HAMMOND STREET was the former name of West 11th St. between Greenwich Ave. and the Hudson River.

HANSON PLACE was the former name of 2nd Ave. between 124th and 125th Sts.

HARLEM LANE. The present St. Nicholas Ave. from 110th to 123rd Sts. was called by this name; it was part of the Kingsbridge Road.

HARLEM ROAD (The Old) was a country road leading to the Village of Harlem; it started at the junction of the Eastern Post Road in the Central Park about on a line of 108th St. and between 5th and Lenox Ave. running northeasterly; crossing Madison Ave. at between 113th and 114th Sts., Park Ave. between 115th and 116th Sts., Lexington Ave. between 117th and 118th Sts.; 2nd Ave. at 123rd St.; 1st Ave. at 125th St., and ending at the Harlem River at the foot of 126th St.

HARLEM ROAD started at the Eastern Post Road, about the present 95th St. between Madison and 5th Ave. and ran northeasterly, crossing Madison Ave. at 99th St. ; Park Ave. at 108th St., Lexington Ave. at 116th St. and ending at the Harlem River at 129th St.

HARMON STREET was the former name of East Broadway; it was originally a lane, known as Love Lane that led to the Rutger's Farm.

HARSEN'S LANE was a country road which connected the Village of Harsenville (70th St. & Broadway) with the eastern part of the Island ; it commenced at the Bloomingdale Road (the present Broadway) between 71st and 72nd Sts. and ran easterly about on line of the present 71st and ended at the Middle Road ; the present 5th Ave. and 71st St.

HAZARD STREET was the former name of King St.

HEER GRAFT (High Ditch) was the name given by the Dutch to the present Broad St. between Beaver and Pearl Sts. in 1657 ; it was one of the earliest streets laid out in the City, and received its name on account of the narrow Canal which ran through the center. This canal was filled in about 1676 and the street was called Broad St. ; it was sometimes spelled Heeren Gracht.

HEERE STRAET, HEERE WEGH,HEERE WAAGE WEGH, were the Dutch names for the present Broadway between Bowling Green and the City Hall Park.

HELL GATE FERRY ROAD was a country road which ran from the East River at the foot of 90th St. southwesterly, joining the Eastern Post Road at Madison Ave. and 82nd St.

HEREWEG. The Dutch name of the present Park Row from Broadway to Chambers St.

HERMAN PLACE was in the rear of Nos. 194, 196, 198 Fourth St. between Avenues A and B.

HENRY STREET was the former name of Perry St.

HERRING STREET was the former name of Bleecker St. between Carmine and Banks Sts. ; known by this name in 1817 ; name changed to Bleecker St. in 1829.

HERRING STREET was the former name of Mercer St.

HESTER COURT was formerly in the rear of No. 101 Hester St.

HESTER STREET was the former name of Howard St.

HETT STREET, HETTY STREET, were the former names of Charlton St.

HEVINS STREET was the former name of Broome St. between Broadway and Hudson Sts. ; was also known as St. Hevins St.

HIGH STREET was the former name of Madison St. from Montgomery to Grand Sts.

HIGH STREET was the former name of Stone St. ; known by this name in 1674.

HOBOKEN STREET formerly ran from No. 474 Washington St. west to West St., now a part of Canal St.

HOOGH STRAET (High Street) was the name of Stone St. east of Broad St. prior to 1664.

HOPPERS LANE was a country road which ran from the Bloomingdale Road (the present Broadway), just south of 5lst St.westerly to the Hudson River at the foot of 53rd St.

HORSE and CART LANE was the name of part of William St.

HOUSTON STREET was the former name of Prince St. between Broadway and Hancock St.

HUBERT STREET was the former name of York St.

HUDSON PLACE was the former name of West 24th St. between 8th and 9th Aves.

HUDSON STREET was the former name of West Houston Street between Broadway and Hancock St.

HULL STREET was the former name of Bridge St. between Whitehall and Broad Sts.; known as Bridge St. in 1676; Hull St. in 1681 ; and Bridge St. since 1728.
 

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter G-H
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: