Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter E-F

 
 

E (continue)

EDEN'S ALLEY: see Ryder's Alley.

EDGAR STREET was the former name of Morris St.

EDGARS ALLEY was the former name of Exchange Alley.

EIGHTH STREET was the former name of Hancock St.

ELBOW STREET was the former name of Cliff St.

ELIZA STREET was the former name of Waverly Place.

ELIZA STREET was a country road on the Kips Bay Farm. It started in the block bounded by 2nd and 3rd Aves., 28th and 29th Sts., and ran northeasterly, crossing 2nd Ave. at 35th St. and ended at 39th St., between 1st and 2nd Aves. It ran at right angle to two other old roads ; Kips Bay St. and Maria St.

ELLET'S or ELLIOTTS ALLEY was the name by which Mill Lane was known in about 1664.

ELM STREET was the former name of Lafayette St. between Worth and Spring Sts.

ERIE PLACE was the former name of Duane St. between Washington and West Sts.

EXCHANGE COURT was in the rear of No. 74 Exchange Place.

EXCHANGE STREET was the former name of Beaver St. between William and Pearl Sts.

EXCHANGE STREET was the former name of Whitehall St.

EXCHANGE STREET was the former name of Marketfield St. In 1791 was called Petticoat Lane.

EXTRA PLACE was an alley which ran north from 1st St. between the Bowery and 2nd Ave.

F

FACTORY STREET was the former name of Waverly Place between Christopher and Bank Sts. It was also called Catherine St.

FAIR STREET was the former name of Fulton St. from Broadway to the Hudson River, east of Broadway it was called Partition St. It was laid out about 1720.

FARLOW'S COURT was formerly in the rear of Nos. 153, 155, 157,159 and 161 Worth St.

FAYETTE STREET was the former name of Oliver St. It was known as Oliver St. since 1825. From Park Row to Madison Sts.

FEITNER'S LANE, see Verdant Lane.

FERRY STREET was the former name of Bayard St.

FERRY STREET was the former name of Peck Slip.

FERRY STREET was the former name of Jackson St. between Division and Cherry Sts.; was known by this name in 1807 ; was also called Ferry Place.

FERRY STREET was the former name of Scamel St.

FIELD STREET, Fieldmarket Street were the former names of Marketfield St.

FIR STREET ran from Grand St. to the East River between Scammel and Jackson Sts., now closed, it was also called Bar St.

FIFTH STREET was the former name of Orchard St.

FIFTH STREET was the former name of Thompson St.

FIFTH STREET was the former name of Washington St.

FIRST STREET was the former name of Christie St. from Division to Houston St. was known by this name in 1766.

FIRST STREET was the former name of Merces St. was called Clermont St. in 1797 ; since 1807 known as Mercer St.

FIRST STREET was a former name of Greenwich St.

FISHER'S COURT was in the rear of Nos. 22, 24 and 26 Oak Street, between Roosevelt and James Sts.

FISHER STREET was the former name of Bayard St., from the Bowery to Division St., known by this name in 1755 ; since 1807 known as Bayard St.

FITZROY PLACE was the former name of West 28th St. between 8th and 9th Aves.

FITZROY ROAD, see Roy Road.

FLATTENBARRACK STREET was one of the former names of Exchange Place, between Broadway and Broad St., it was known by this name in 1728.

FOURTH STREET was the former name of Allen St. between Division and Houston Sts.

FOURTH STREET was the former name of West Broadway between Canal and West 4th Streets.

FRANKLIN TERRACE was in the rear of No. 364 West 36th St.

FRENCH CHURCH STREET was the former name of Pine Street between Broadway and William St.

FRONT STREET was the former name of Greenwich St.

FULTON STREET was a former name of Nassau St.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter E-F
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: