Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter C-E

 
 

C (continue)

CROPSIE STREET was the former name of State St.

COZINE STREET was the former name of Grove St.

CROSS STREET was the former name of Park St.

CROWN POINT STREET was the former name of Grand St. from the Bowery to the East River.

CROWN POINT STREET was the former name of Corlears St.

CROWN POINT STREET was the former name of Water St. between Montgomery St. and the East River.

CROWN STREET was the former name of Park St. ; known in 1797 as Cross St.

CROWN STREET was the former name of Liberty St.; it was laid out about 1690 ; at one time called Tienhoven St. ; name changed to Liberty St. in 1783.

CUSTOM HOUSE ST. was the former name of Pearl St., between Whitehall St. and Hanover Square.

D

DAVID STREET was the former name of Bleecker St., between Broadway and Hancock St.; name changed in 1829.

DAVID STREET was the former name of Clarkson St. between Varrick and Hudson Sts.

DECATUR PLACE was the former name of 7th St. between 1st Ave. and Avenue A.

DEPAU ROW was the former name of Bleecker St. between Thompson and Sullivan Sts.

DESBROSSES STREET was the former name of Grand St. between Broadway and Varrick St.

DIRTY LANE was the former name of South William St. This street was opened about 1656 and was called by the Dutch Slyck Steegh, meaning Dirty Lane. In 1674 it was called Mill Street Lane; name changed to South William St. about 1832.

DIVISION STREET was the former name of Fulton St. between Broadway and West. St.

DIXSON'S ROW was the name given to a part of 110th St. between 8th and Columbus Ave.

DOCK STREET was the former name of Pearl St. between Whitehall St. and Hanover Square.

DOCK STREET was the former name of Water St. between Coenties Slip and Beekman St.

DOMMIC STREET was the former name of Dowling St.

DONOVAN'S LANE was near No. 474 Pearl St.

DUGGAN STREET was the former name of Canal St. between Center and West Sts.

DUKE STREET was the former name of Stone St. During the Dutch times a part was known as Brouwers Straet, and another part as Hoogh Straet ; in 1674 was known as High St. and a part as Stone St. In 1691 it was called Duke St. and since 1797 has been known as Stone St. This street was the first to be paved with stone in the City.

DUKE STREET was the former name of Vanderwater St. ; it was known by this name in 1755.

DUNCOMB PLACE was the former name of East 128th St. between 2nd and 3rd Aves.

DUNSCOMBE PLACE was the former name of East 50th St. between 1st Ave. and Beekman Place.

DUNHAM PLACE was the former name of an Alley running south from 142 West 33rd St., now closed.

DWAR'S STREET was the former name of Exchange Place between Broadway and Broad St.

DYES STREET. Dey Street was so called in 1767.

E

EAGLE STREET was the former name of Hester St. ; it was laid out about 1750; known in 1755 as Hester St.; in 1766 as Eagle St., and since 1807 as Eagle St.

EAST BANK STREET
was an old road in Greenwich Village; it ran from 7th and Greenwich Ave. northeasterly to the Union Road in the block now bounded by 6th and 7th Aves., 13th and 14th Sts.

EAST COURT
was in West 22nd St. near 6th Ave. ; now closed.

EAST GEORGE STREET
was the former name of Market St.

EASTERN POST ROAD
started at the present Broadway and 23rd St. and ran northeasterly across Madison Square to about 30th St. just west of Lexington Ave. ; it then ran northerly, parallel to Lexington Ave. to 36th St., there veering easterly, crossing 3rd Ave. at 45th St. and then running northerly, midway between 2nd and 3rd Ave. to 50th St., where it turned northeasterly. Crossing 2nd Ave. at 52nd St., from there it ran northerly, midway between 1st and 2nd Aves. At 57th St. it turned slightly westerly, crossing 2nd Ave. at 62nd St., 3rd Ave. at 72nd, and Lexington Ave. at 76th St. It then ran northerly and northeasterly, recrossing Lexington Ave. at 77th St., then northeasterly, northerly and northwesterly, crossing 5th Ave. at 90th St., then northerly through Central Park, recrossing 5th Ave. at 109th St., 4th Ave. at 115th St., then northeasterly between 3rd and 4th Ave. to the Harlem River at 130th St. and 3rd Ave. This road was also called the Boston Post Road. It was closed in 1839.

EAST PLACE
formerly ran in the rear of Nos. 184-186 East 3rd St.,between Avenue B and C.

EAST ROAD
was the former name of 4th Ave. between 37th and 90th Sts.

EAST STREET
was the former name of Mangin St.

EAST TOMPKINS PLACE
was the former name of East llth St. between Ave. A and B.

EDEN STREET
was the former name of Morton St. between Bedford and Bleeker Sts. It was also called Arden St.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter C-E
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: