Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter C

 
 
  Article Tools

Print This Page

E-mail This Page To A Friend

C (continue)

CHAPPEL STREET was the former name of Beekman St.

CHARLES ALLEY was the former name of Charles lane.

CHARLOTTE STREET was the former name of Pike St. between Cherry and Division Sts.; was known by this name in 1791.

CHATHAM STREET was the former name of Park Row. This street was originally part of the Bowery; called Chatham St. in 1774, changed to Park Row in 1886.

CHEAPSIDE was the former name of Hamilton St. between Catherine and Market Sts.; was known by this name in 1797; name changed to Hamilton St. on August 27, 1827.

CHESTNUT STREET was the former name of Howard St. between Broadway and Mercer Sts.; known in 1807 as Hester St.

CHESTER STREET was the former name of West 4th St. between Bank and Christopher Sts.

CHRYSTIE STREET was the former name of Cherry St.

CHURCH LANE was one of the first streets laid out in the village of Harlem, it ran from 117th St. between 3rd and 4th Aves. northerly to 120th St., then northeasterly crossing 3rd Ave. at 121st St., 2nd Ave. at 123rd St. and ending at the Harlem River between 125th and 126th Sts.

CHURCH STREET was the former name of Exchange Place between Broadway and William St.

CLENDERRING'S LANE was a country road which started in central Park about on line with 6th Ave. and 105th St. and ran westerly along the southerly side of 105th St. to the middle of the block between Columbus and Amsterdam Ave., then southwesterly to the Bloomingdale Road, at about a point fifty feet south of 103rd St.

CLERMONT STREET was the former name of Mercer St.; known Clermont Street was the former name of Hester St. between Center St. and Broadway and of Howard St. between Broadway and Mercer St.

CLINTON PLACE was the former name of West 8th ST., from Broadway to 6th Ave.

COLDEN STREET was the former name of Duane St., from Lafayette College Place was the former name of West Broadway from Barclay to Warren Sts; known in 1755 as Chapel St.: name changed to College Pl. in 1830.

COLLET STREET was the former name of Center St. from Hester to Pearl Sts.; known by this name in 1807 to 1817.

COLUMBIA PLACE was the former name of a part of 8th St.

COLUMBIA STREET was the former name of Grove St.; was also called Burrows and Cozine Sts.

COLUMBIA STREET was the former name of Jersey St.

COMMERCE STREET was the former name of Barrow St.

COMMONS STREET. Park Row was so called at one time.

CONCORD STREET was the former name of West Broadway from Canal to 4th Sts.

CONGRESS PLACE was the former name of an Alley in the rear of No. 4 Congress St.

COOPERS STREET was the former name of Fletcher St.

COP STREET was the former name of State St.

CORNELIA STREET was the former name of West 12th St. between Greenwich Ave. and Hudson St.

COTTAGE PLACE was the former name of East 3rd St. between Avenue B and C.

COTTAGE ROW was the former name of 4th Ave. between 18th and 19th Sts.

CRABAPPLE STREET was the former name of Pike St.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter C
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: