Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922 B-C

 
 
  Article Tools

Print This Page

E-mail This Page To A Friend

B (continue)

BOGART STREET formerly ran from No. 539 West St. west to the Hudson River.

BOORMAN TERRACE, West 32nd St. between 8th and 9th ave.

BOSTON POST ROAD, see Eastern Post Road.

BOTT STREET was the former name of Elm St.

BOULEVARD, The, was the former name of Broadway from 59th to 155th St., it was opened in 1868 and name changed to Broadway on Jan. 1, 1899.

BOULEVARD PLACE was the former name of West 130th St. from 5th to Lenox Ave.

BOWERY LANE. The Bowery was called by this name in 1760; since 1807 known as the Bowery.

BOWERY PLACE was in the rear of No. 49 Christie St., between Canal and Hester Sts.

BOWLING GREEN, Cherry St. was called by this name at one time.

BREEDWEG, BREEDWEGH. Broadway between Bowling Green and Park Row was known by these names during the Dutch occupancy of the city.

BREVOORT PLACE was the former of West 10th St. between Broadway and University Place.

BREWERS HILL was the former name of Gold St.

BRIDE STREET was the former name of Minetta St. from Bleecker St. to the bend in the street.

BRIDGE STREET was one of the former names of Elm St.

BROAD WAGON WAY, The, was the name of Broadway in 1670.

BROADWAY ALLEY formerly ran from No.153 East 26th St. north to 27th St.

BROOK STREET was the former name of Hancock St.

BROUWER STRAAT (Brewer's St.) was the name of the Dutch first gave to the present Stone St. It was one of the earliest streets laid out by them and received this name on account of the Brewery of the West India Co. being located on it. Since 1797 has been known as Stone St., having been called High St. in 1674, and Duke St. in 1691.

BRUGH STRAET (Bridge Street) was one of the early Dutch Streets and received this name on account of it being the street which led to the bridge over the Canal in Broad St.; known as Bridge St. in 1674; as Hull St. in 1691; and as Bridge St. since 1728.

BRUGH STEEGH (Bridge Lane) was a narrow street, about twenty-two feet wide, which ran between Bridge and Stone Sts. It was closed about 1674.

BUDD STREET was the former name of Van Dam St.

BULLOCK STREET was the former name of Broome St.; known by this name in 1766; since 1807 known as Broome St.

BURGERS PATH was the Dutch name of a part of William St.

BURLING LANE was a country road which commenced at the present Broadway, between 17th and 18th Sts., and ran south-westerly, meeting the Southampton Road at about the present 6th Ave. and 16th St.

BURNET STREET was the former name of Water St. between Wall St. and Maiden Lane.

BURR STREET was the former name of Charlton St.

BURROWS STREET was the former name of Grove St. In 1807 was known as Columbia St. and since 1817 as Burrows St.

BURTON STREET was the former name of LeRoy St. from Varrick to Bleecker Sts.

BUSHWICK STREET was the former name of Tompkins St.

C

CAMDEN PLACE was the former name of East 11th St. between Avenue B and C.

CAROLINE STREET was at the head of Duane St. Slip.

CARROLL PLACE was the former name of Bleecker St. between West Broadway and Thompson St.

CARTMANS ARCADE Was an Alley which ran south at No. 171 Delancey St., now Closed.

CATHERINE PLACE was the former name of Catherine Lane.

CATHERINE STREET was the former name of Worth St.; known in 1797 as Catherine St.; in 1807 as Anthony St.

CATHERINE STREET was the former name of Waverly Pl. between Christopher and West 12th St.; known by this name in 1807.

CATHERINE STREET was the former name of Mulberry St. between Bayard and Bleecker St.; known by this name in 1797.

CATHERINE STREET was the former name of Pearl St. between Broadway and Elm St.; was also called Magazine St.

CATO'S LANE started at the Eastern Post Road, about the present 2nd Ave. between 52nd and 53rd St., and ran southeasterly to the East River at Ave. A between 50th and 51st Sts.

CHAPEL STREET was the former name of West Broadway from Murray to Canal St.; known by this name in 1797; name changed to College Place in 1830.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 B-C
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: