Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922 A-B

 
 
  Article Tools

Print This Page

E-mail This Page To A Friend

Many street names have been entirely discontinued. Old Love Lane, formerly Twenty-first Street west of Fifth Avenue, is a case in point. And this list might easily be lengthened. We ought to celebrate great Americans when new names are needed, and get away from the tiresome numerical system heretofore slavishly followed:

A (Page 66)

ABINGDON PLACE was the former name of West 12th St. between Hudson and Greenwich Sts. It was laid out about 1807; known then as Cornelia St.; in 1817 known as Scott St.

ABINGDON ROAD, see Love Lane.

ABBATTOIR PLACE was the former name of West 12th St. between 1th Ave. and the Hudson River.

ACHMUTY LANE was in block bounded by Water, South, Pike and Rutgers Sts.

ADAMS PLACE was the former name of West Broadway between Spring and Prince Sts.

ALBANY AVENUE formerly ran from 26th St. between 5th and Madison Ave. northwesterly, crossing 5th Ave. between 29th and 30th St. to the corner of 6th Ave. and 42nd St., then northerly on the present line of 6th Ave. to 93rd St.

ALBION PLACE was the former name of East 4th St. between 2nd Ave. and the Bowery.

AMITY ALLEY (or Amity Place) was formerly in the rear of No. 216 Wooster St.

AMITY LANE was a country lane which commenced at Broadway, about fifty feet north of Bleecker St. and ran northwesterly to 6th Ave. just south of 4th St.

AMITY STREET was the former name of West 3rd St. between Broadway and 6th Ave.

AMOS STREET was the former name of West 10th St. between Greenwich Ave. and the Hudson River.

ANN STREET was the former name of Grand St. between Broadway and the Bowery. It was laid out in 1797 and its name was changed to Grand St. in 1807.

ANN STREET was the former name of Elm St. between Reade and Franklin Sts. Name was changed in 1807.

ANTHONY STREET, Duane St. was called by this name at one time.

ANTHONY STREET was the former name of Worth St. between Hudson and Baxter Sts. It was laid out in 1795; known in 1797 as Catherine St.; known in 1807 as Anthony St.

ARCH PLACE was in the rear of No. 109 Canal St., between Church St. and West Broadway.

ARDEN STREET was the former name of Morton St. between Varick and Bleecker St.; name was changed in 1829. It was also called Eden St.

(Page: 69)

ARUNDEL STREET was the former name of Clinton St. from Division to Houston Sts. It was laid out about 1760; name changed to Clinton St. in 1828.

ART STREET was the former name of Astor Place. Originally it was a lane leading from the Bowery to a part of the Stuyvesant Farm. It was known as Art St. in 1807.

ASHLAND PLACE was the former name of Perry St. between Waverly Place and Greenwich Ave.

ASYLUM STREET was the former name of West 4th St., between 6th Ave. and 13th St.

AUGUSTUS STREET was the former name of City Hall Place. It was laid out about 1795; known as Augustus St. in 1797.

B

BACHE STREET, Beach St. was called by this name at one time.

BAILEY STREET was laid out through the New York Common Lands, it ran from Broadway to Albany Ave. between 25th and 26th Sts.

BANCKER STREET, Duane St. was at one time called by this name.

BANCKER STREET was the former name of Madison St. between Catherine and Pearl Sts. It was projected about 1750; known as Bancker St. in 1755; known as Madison St. since.

BANNON STREET was the former name of Spring St.

BAR STREET as laid out, ran from Grand St. to the East River between Scammel and Jackson Sts. It was also called Fir St.

BARLEY STREET was the former name of Duane St. from Rose to Hudson Sts. It was laid out in 1791; name changed to Duane St. in 1807.

BARRACK STREET was the former name of Tyron Row (now obsolete); known by this name in 1766.

BARRICK STREET: Exchange Place was known by this name at one time.

BARROW STREET, West Washington Place, between Macdougal and West 4th St. was known by this name at one time.

BATAVIA LANE was name of Batavia Street.

BATTOE STREET; Dey St. was so called at one time.

BAYARD PLACE, now called Charles Lane; a narrow street running from Washington West St. between Charles and Perry Sts.

BAYARD STREET, Stone St. was so called at one time.

BEAVER LANE was the first name of Morris St.

BEDLOW STREET was the former name of Madison St. between Catherine and Montgomery Sts. It was known by this name in 1797; known as Bancker St. in 1817.

BELEVEDERE PLACE was the former name of West 10th St.

BENSON'S LANE was the former name of Elm St.

BEVER GRAFT, BEVER STRAAT, BEVER PAATJIE, were the Dutch names of Beaver St. from Broadway to Broad St.

BEURS STRAAT was the Dutch name of Whitehall St.

BLOOMFIELD STREET formerly ran from No. 7 10th Ave. to the Hudson River (now closed).

BLOOMINGDALE ROAD started at 23rd St., being the continuation of Broadway at that point. It followed the present Broadway as far as 86th St., where it veered easterly, running between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave. At 104th St. it again followed the line of Broadway until reaching 107th St., where it turned slightly westerly until it met the present easterly roadway of Riverside Drive, following it to 116th St., where it turned easterly, crossing Broadway at 126th St. and meeting Old Broadway at Manhattan St. (the present Old Broadway between Manhattan St. and 133rd St. is a part of the original road). From 133rd St. it ran slightly east of the present Broadway into Hamilton Place at 138th St., following Hamilton Pl. to its termination at Amsterdam Ave. and 144th St., from there running northeasterly and ending at the junction of Kingsbridge Road, just east of St. Nicholas Ave. and 147th St.

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 A-B
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: