Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC: 1922  Letter L-M

 
 
L

LAFAYETTE PLACE was the former name of Lafayette Street, between Great Jones St. and 8th St. It was opened July 4, 1826.

LAMARTINE PLACE was the former name of West 29th St. between 8th and 9th Aves.

LAMBERT STREET was the former name of Church St. between Edgar and Liberty Sts.

LAURENS STREET was the former name of West Broadway, between Canal and 4th Sts.

LEANDERT'S PLACE was formerly in the rear of No. 147 Seventh St., between Avenues A and B.

LEARY STREET was a former name of Cortlandt St.

LEATHER STREET was the former name of Jacob St.

LENOX PLACE was the former name of 22nd St. between 8th and 9th Aves.

LEROY PLACE was the former name of Bleeker St. between Mercer and Greene Sts.

LEYDEN PLACE was the former name of Fourth Ave. between 11th and 13th Sts.

LIBERTY COURT was formerly in the rear of Nos. 4 and 6 Liberty Place.

LITTLE STREET was the former name of Cedar St. between Broadway and the Hudson River.

LITTLE AIM STREET was the former name of Elm St. (now Lafayette St.) between Reade and Franklin Sts.

LITTLE CHAPPEL STREET was the former name of College Place (now West Broadway) between Barclay and Warren Sts.

LITTLE DIVISION STREET was the former name of Church St.

LITTLE DIVISION STREET was the former name of Montgomery St. ; known by this name in 1766-1767.

LITTLE DOCK STREET was the former name of Water St. between Broad St. and Old Slip.

LITTLE DOCK STREET was the former name of South St. between Whitehall St. and Old Slip.

LITTLE GEORGE STREET was the former name of Spruce St. ; known by this name in 1725.

LITTLE GREENE STREET was the former name of Liberty Place.

LITTLE QUEEN STREET was the former name of Cedar St. It was laid out about 1690 and was known as Smith St. ; known in 1728 as Little Queen St.; known since 1793 as Cedar St.

LITTLE STONE STREET was the former name of Thames St. ; known by this name in 1766; known since 1791 as Thames St.

LITTLE WATER STREET was the former name of Mission Place.

LOCUST STREET was the former name of Sullivan St.

LOMBARD STREET, LOMBARDY STREET, were the former names of Monroe St. ; known in 1791 as Rutgers St. ; name changed to Monroe St. Jan. 10, 1831.

LONDON TERRACE was the former name of the north side of 23rd St. between 9th and 10th Aves.

LORILLARD PLACE was the former name of Washington St. between Charles and Perry Sts.

LOUISA STREET. Kips Bay Farm was a country road which ran from the Eastern Post Road about the present Lexington Ave. and 32nd St. southeasterly, crossing 2nd Ave. at 31st St. and ending at the East River at the foot of 30th St.

LOVE LANE, also called the Abingdon Road, was a country road which commenced at the Roy Road ; about the present 8th Ave. and 21st St. and ran easterly on about the line of the Eastern Post Road at the present 3rd Ave. and 23rd St.

LOVE LANE was a country road which ran from Chatham Square easterly to the Rutgers Farm, about the line of the present West Broadway.

LOWE'S LANE was a country road which commenced at the Eastern Post Road about the present 41st St., slightly east of Lexington Ave. and ran westerly crossing the Middle Road (5th Ave.) at 42nd St. and ending at the Bloomingdale Road (present Broadway), between 43rd and 44th Sts.

LOW WATER STREET was the former name of Washington St. between Battery Place and West Houston St.

LOW WATER STREET was the former name of Water St. between Broad and Wall Sts.

LUDLOW PLACE was the former name of West Houston St. between Sullivan and Macdougal Sts.

LUMBER STREET was the former name of Trinity Place between Morris and Liberty Sts.

LUMBER STREET was the former name of Monroe St.

M

MASAGDE PAETGE (Maidens Path) was the name of Maiden Lane during the time of the Dutch.

MADISON COURT
was formerly in the rear of No. 219 Madison St.

MAIDEN LANE
was a country lane in the block now bounded by Broadway, Amsterdam Ave., 160th and 161st St.

MAGAZINE STREET
was the former name of Pearl St. between Park Row and Broadway.

MANHATTAN AVENUE
was the former name of 5th Ave.

MANHATTAN ROAD
was a country road which commenced at the Kingsbridge Road ; about the present Lexington Ave. and 121st St. and ran southwesterly to a point in the block bounded by Park and Madison Aves., 118th and 119th Sts., then northwesterly, crossing 5th Ave. at 119th St., 6th Ave. between 120th and 121st Sts., 7th Ave. between 121st and 122nd Sts., to a point on the north side of 122nd St. about 200 ft. east of 8th Ave., then southwesterly to 8th Ave. about one-half way between 121st and 122nd Sts.

MANSFIELD PLACE
was the former name of West 51st St. between 8th and 9th Aves.

MARGARET STREET
was the former name of Cherry St.

MARGARET STREET
was the former name of Willett St.

MARIA STREET.
Kips Bay Farm was the name of a country road which started from a point in the block bounded by 2nd and 3rd Aves., 29th and 30th Sts., and ran southeasterly to the
East River between 28th and 29th Sts.

MARION STREET
was the former name of Cleveland Place and Lafayette St. between Broome and Prince Sts.

MARKET STREET
was the former name of South William St.

MARKETFIELD STREET
was the former name of Battery Place between Broadway and Hudson River.

MARTIN TERRACE
was the former name of East 30th St. between 2nd and 3rd Aves.

MARY STREET
was the former name of Christopher St. between Greenwich Ave. and Waverly Pl.

MARY STREET
was the former name of Baxter St. between Leonard and Grand Sts.

MARY STREET
was the former name of Cleveland Pl. and Lafayette St. between Broome and Prince Sts.
 

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Street Names Which Have Been Changed or are Obsolete In the Borough of Manhattan, NYC:1922 Letter L-M
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: From My Private Collection of Books: Valentine's Manual of Old New York; edited by Henry Collins Brown 1922
Time & Date Stamp: