Here and There: A Little Bit of Old New York Part III
 

 
 
Asylums, For Aged.

Home for Aged Israelites,822 Lexington avenue, cor. Sixty-third street. Association for Respectable Aged Indigent Females, 226 E. Twentieth street.

Protestant Episcopal Home for Aged, Madison avenue, cor. Eighty-ninth st.

Baptist Home for Aged, Sixty-eighth street, near Fourth avenue.

Methodist Episcopal Home for Aged, 255 W. Forty-second street.

Presbyterian Home for Aged, Seventy-third street, near Madison avenue.

Asylums-Benevolent Societies

Colored Home, foot of E. Sixty-fifth street, East River.

Samaritan Home for Aged Men and Women, 409 Fourteenth st., cor. Ninth av.

St. Joseph's Home, Roman Catholic, 203 W. Fifteenth street.

St. Stephen's Home, Roman Catholic, 145 E. Twenty-eighth street.

Home for Aged Men and Women, Roman Catholic,. 179 E. Seventieth street.

Chapin Home, E. Sixty-sixth street, near Lexington avenue.

Home for Aged Men and Aged Couples, 485 Hudson street.

Home for Aged Men, St. Johnland, refer to Rev. Dr. Muhlenberg, St. Luke's Hospital.

Trinity Chapel Home for Aged Women, 208 W. Twenty-seventh street.

Asylums-For Women

Lying-in- Asylum, 85 Marion street.

Lying-in- Asylum, E. Fifty-first street, corner Lexington avenue.

Infant Asylum, for Mothers and Infants, 24 Clinton place, and Tenth avenue, corner Sixty-first street.

For The Blind

New York Institution for the Blind, Ninth avenue, near Thirty-fourth street.

Destitute Blind, 219 W. Fourteenth street.

For the Deaf and Dumb

New York Institution for Deaf and Dumb, W. 162d street, near Bloomingdale road.

Association for Deaf Mutes, 642 Seventh avenue, near Forty-fifth street.

Home for Deaf Mutes, 220 E. Thirteenth street.

For Lunatics

Asylum for Lunatics, W. 117th street, near Tenth avenue ; office, 8 West Sixteenth street.

Asylum for Lunatics, Blackwell's Island ; office, 66 Third avenue.

Fob Inebriates

Asylum for Inebriates, Ward's Island ; office, 66 Third avenue.

For Soldiers

Asylum for Soldiers, Ward's Island ; office, 66 Third avenue.

Homes

Home for the Friendless, 29 East Twenty-ninth street.
Home for Colored Aged, foot of East Sixty-fifth street, East River.
House of Mercy, foot of West Eighty-sixth street, North River.
Home for Women, 304 and 306 Mulberry street.
Home for Training Young Girls, 41 Seventh avenue, corner Thirteenth street.
Home for Mothers and Infants, 24 Clinton place, and Tenth avenue, corner West Sixty-first street.
Home for Women, 260 Greene street.
Home for Women, 273 Water street.
Home for Girls, 86 West Fourth street.
House of Industry, 155 Worth street.
House of Industry, 120 West Sixteenth street.
Home of Prison Association, 213 Tenth avenue.
Magdalen Asylum, Eighty-eighth street, near Fifth avenue.
Infants' Home, Lexington avenue, corner East Fifty-first street.
Home for Foundlings (Roman Catholic), Lexington av. and Sixty-eighth st.
Home for Incurables, A. M. Campbell, Superintendent, Fordham.
Young Women's Home, 27 and 28 Washington square.
Business Women's Home, 222 Madison street.
House of Good Shepherd (Roman Catholic), foot of East Eighty-ninth street, East River.
Home for Aged Men, Ninth avenue, corner Fourteenth street.
Home for Little Wanderers, 40 New Bowery.
Home for Soldiers, Ward's Island.
Home for Sailors, 190 Cherry street.
Home for Blind, 219 West Fourteenth street.
House of Rest for Consumptives, refer to H. J. Cammann, 8 Wall street.
St. Joseph's (Roman Catholic), East Eighty-first street, n. Madison avenue. ,
St. Stephen's Home (Roman Catholic), 138 East Twenty -eighth street.
Home for Aged Israelites, Lexington avenue, corner Sixty-third street.
Home for Babies, refer to 131 Lexington avenue.
Industrial Home for Jewesses, 145 West Thirty-fourth street.
Shelter for Girls, 334 Sixth avenue.
Temporary Home for Women, 133 Macdougal street.

Institutions For Children

The Girls' Lodging House, 27 St. Mark's place.
The Newsboys Lodging House, William street, cor. Chambers street.
Italian School, 46 Franklin street.
Sheltering Arms, Tenth avenue, and 129th street.
Refuge for Homeless Children, 211 West Eighteenth street.
Boys' Lodging House, 709 East Eleventh street.
House of Refuge, Randall's Island; office, 61 Bible House.
Five Points House of Industry, 155, 157, 159 Worth street.
New York Ladies' Home Missionary Society, 61 Park street.
N. Y.Juvenile Asylum, 175th street, High Bridge ; House of Reception, 61 W. Thirteenth Street.
Howard Mission, 40 New Bowery.
Wilson Industrial School, 127 Avenue A, cor. Eighth street.
Society for the Protection of Destitute Roman Catholic Children, 29 Reade street ; 15 E. Eighty-sixth street; and Westchester.
Children's Aid Society, 19 E. Fourth street.
Union Home for Soldiers' Children, 151st street, near Eleventh avenue.
American Female Guardian Society, 29 E. Twenty-ninth street.
Home for Christian Care, refer to Rev. S. H. Tyng, Jr., D. D.
House of the Good Shepherd, Rockland Co., refer to Rev. G. Gay, Jr.,
Tompkins Cove, Rockland Co., N. Y.
St. Johnland, refer to Rev. Dr. Muhlenberg, St. Luke's Hospital.
St. Paul's Mission House, Day Nursery, 28 Cortlandt street.
Roman Catholic Industrial School for Soldiers' Children, E. Eighty -first street, near Madison avenue.
Home for Seamen's Children, Staten Island.
Shepherd's Fold, E. Eighty-sixth street, n. Second avenue.
Wayside Home School, 405 W. Twenty-ninth street.
For Befriending Children (Roman Catholic), 135 Second avenue.
Children's Fold, 437 E. Fifty-eighth street.

Hospitals of New York City

Saint Mary's Free Hospital for children

The success of the Saint Mary's Free Hospital for Children, which was opened five years ago by a few persons, who quietly made themselves responsible for the rent and maintenance of a building, is now a fact beyond doubt. At the beginning, the Institution was placed, by those who agreed to maintain the experiment, under the supervision of Bishop Potter, while the hospital work was
put in charge of the Sisters of Saint Mary. A removal to larger premises, at No. 407 West Thirty-fourth street, was
found necessary three years ago, and during the last two years it has become evident that a large and suitable building, with all the modern hospital conveniences, has become a positive necessity. A movement is on foot for the purchase of the present house and the grounds adjacent, and on the lots east of the house it is proposed to build the new hospital. The cost of this ground and the
house will be about $25,000, which sum it is proposed to raise by subscription. There is no distinction made on account of religious creeds in the admission of patients into the Institution, and as it is the only child's hospital of the kind in the country, it is hoped that all persons, irrespective of creed, will give it aid and sympathy. Contributions may be sent to and certificates received from the Hospital, No. 407 West Thirty -fourth street, New York City.

New York Hospital
Office, No. 8 West Sixteenth street:

(Library, Pathological Cabinet and Business Office of the Hospital and Bloomingdale Asylum.)

This institution was founded 1770; chartered by George III., July 13, 1771; corner-stone laid July 27, 1773. Patients first admitted, Jan. 3, 1791. The old building finally vacated February, 1870.

The property heretofore known as the "Thom Mansion," on West Sixteenth street, has been purchased by " The Society of the New York Hospital,'' together with the surrounding land, forming a plot 125x103 feet on Sixteenth street, and 75x103 feet on Fifteenth street, in the rear. The above building will be used for the administration purposes of the Society, and will contain, in addition, its extensive Library and Pathological Cabinet. The Hospital will accommodate about 150 patients, or a larger number if more land adjoining can be purchased, in which it is intended to care for persons injured by accidents, or who may be taken suddenly ill in the streets in the westerly and southerly districts of the City.

Bellevue Hospital

Entrance, foot of Twenty-sixth Street, East River. Established November, 1826, as a Hospital for the sick and the insane poor. Present number of beds, 1,000; provision for 1.200. Maximum charge for patients, $3.50 per week, which is expected only from those abundantly able to pay. Contagious diseases not admitted. The medical management is vested in a Medical Board, who meet on the first of every month, to assign from their number the visiting staff to the several divisions. The admission of patients between 10 A.M. and 3 P.M. is readily procurable upon the recommendation of a physician. Accidents and sudden illness at any time, day and night. Hours for visitors, from 11 A.M. to 3 P.M., daily. St. Luke's Hospital. Fifty-fourth Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. The object of this corporation is "the establishment, support, and management of an institution to be known as St. Luke's Hospital, for the purpose of affording medical and surgical aid and nursing to sick or disabled persons, and also to provide them, while inmates of the Hospital, with the ministrations of the Gospel, agreeably to the doctrines and forms of the Protestant Episcopal Church. A further object of the Society is the instructing and training of suitable persons in the art of nursing and attending upon the sick." This noble institution was founded by the REV. WILLIAM A. MUHLENBERG, D. D., in 1846, since which time, liberal donations have been contributed, spacious ground purchased, and a large edifice erected. The corner-stone of the building was laid in 1854, and finished in 1857, at a cost of upwards of $100,000. The Hospital is under the control of a Board of thirty-one Managers. The officers of the Society are a President, two V ice-Presidents, a Treasurer and a Secretary. The professional staff consists of four attending and four consulting physicians.


 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Here and There: A Little Bit of Old New York 1876 Part III
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: New York As It Was and As It Is; Giving An Account of the City From Its Settlement to the Present Time: Compiled by John Disturnell, published by D. Van Nostrand-New York 1876.
Time & Date Stamp: