Uptown Shopping Center, Harlem 1900 Part III
 

 
 

Glass, Paints, Oils, Varnishes, Etc.

Directly opposite the One-hundred-and-twenty-fifth street station of the New York Central and New York New-Haven and Hartford Railroad, on Park avenue Nos. 1826 and 1828 is the firm of Thomas C. Edmonds & Co., dealers in window glass, paints and oils, who have lately located in their new building at the above address. This firm was organized in 1895 (formerly of No. 212 East One-hundred-and-twenty-fifth-street, where they began in a small way), and are doing a general wholesale business in and out of town, which immediate territory is well covered by their salesmen. This firm has distinct glass and paint departments, each occupying one building. Their glass business is the largest in the upper end of the city. Special attention is given to large contracts and to shipping orders. In the paint line they represent the Heath & Milligan Manufacturing Company of Chicago, Ill., acting as their New York wholesale distributors for best prepared paint, railway white lead, etc. They are also wholesale distributors for the Cleveland Varnish Company's celebrated Permanere fishes, and for their general line, which is of high merit for first class work. They are at present located in new buildings, built for their business, and giving increased room and facilities to provide for the general advance of said business. Their telephone number is 393 Harlem. Their facilities for shipping are excellent, the leading railroads and shipping points being in close proximity to their Harlem connections.

Mail orders have their immediate and careful attention. This house stands high as a reliable firm, from whom all commodities in their line can be purchased at reasonable rates, and from them prompt shipments and attention are assured.

H.C.F.Koch & Co.

In its edition of March 21, 1891, The Tribune published the following news item:

The faith that the firm of H.C.F.Koch & Co. are showing in the future of Harlem will no doubt be gratification to the people of that locality. The firm have erected a large building between Lenox and Seventh avenues, running from One-hundred-and-twenty-fifth to One-hundred-and-twenty-fourth streets. The store will be open for business for the first time today, and there is little doubt that the people of Harlem will feel proud at the thought of having such a well established emporium among them.

"The faith of the firm" was certainly realized. The business paid from the first day. Two years later their capacity was overtaxed, and two additional stories were added to the already large building. A few years later, additional capacity in the shape of a large warehouse in One-hundred-and-twenty-fourth-street., immediately in the rear of the present store, was taken. The delivery of goods had to be provided for, and a three story fifty-foot front stable was added to provide for the forty-eight four-footed mute employees of the firm. Some idea of the present business of the house can be had by the statement that there are over nine hundred employees of this firm. The building is equipped with the latest and most up to date pneumatic tube cash system, which is a sight worth seeing in itself. The store is provided with a splendid sprinkler system for accidental fires among the stock. The building itself is fire-proof. While the firm of H.C.F.Koch & Co. is known as a dry-goods store, it really is a department store, carrying all lines of goods for men, women and children, and everything for the home. The princip0al departments are ladies', children's and misses' suits and wraps: millinery, silks and dress goods; laces, hosiery and gloves; ladies', misses' and children's shoes; boys' clothing; ladies' shirt waists, muslin underwear and corsets; housekeeping linens; china, glass and house furnishings; upholstery goods, carpets, furniture. The sixth floor of the building is devoted to manufacturing, and here are made all awnings, shades, slip covers, mattresses, re-up-holstering of furniture, and general upholstering work.

The old firm of H.C.F. Koch & Co. were successful at Sixth-avenue and Twentieth street prior to their removal to Harlem, and many "wiseacres" predicted the move a bad one; but to the business qualifications of Mr. H.C.F. Koch, and his able partner. Mr. A. Riesenberg, the Harlem store will compare favorably with any of the many dry goods palaces of New York or Brooklyn.

The Hamilton Building

This modern fireproof building, located at the corner of One-hundred-and-twenty-fifth street and Park avenue, the principal thoroughfare of the city north of Twenty-third street is occupied by the Hamilton Storage and Warehouse Company, a corporation which has done a large business for many years, and whose increasing needs called for the erection of this building for its occupancy.

This building, the largest on Manhattan island north of Fifty-ninth street, is situated in a most accessible and convenient point immediately adjacent to the Harlem station of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company, the Third avenue trolley passing its doors, the Lexington avenue trolley being but one block to the east and the Madison avenue line being one block to the west.

Owing to the extensive business of this company it has recently been reorganized and its capital stock increased.

At the annual meeting of the stockholders, the Hon. Andrew H. Green was elected president, Josheph J. Snow vice-president, William L. Van Valkenburgh secretary and Lyman S. Andrews treasurer. These officers and F.l E. Townsend constitute the Board of Directors.

The company took possession of this new structure on April 1 last and the expectations of its managers have been more than realized, as the building is now almost entirely occupied.

At this season, when many people are contemplating going away for the summer, the questions of moving and storage are of unusual importance. The Hamilton Fire Proof Storage Company is undoubtedly one of the foremost houses of the city in this line of business. They undertake everything in the way of storage, moving, packing and shipping furniture, household effects, pictures, bric-a-brac, etc., and their terms are most reasonable. It is to be noted that the storage rooms are not only fire and burglar proof, but dry, well ventilated and proof against dust and vermin. The company keeps on hand a large assortment of the best variety of vans for moving purposes, with experienced drivers. The insurance rates charged are merely nominal.

Joseph J. Snow, manager of the company, is a man of great experience and ability in this line of business.

Next Part IV Winthrop house


 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Uptown Shopping Center, Harlem 1900 Part III
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

The New York Tribune June 10, 1900 Page: 7
Time & Date Stamp: