Just Rambling About Harlem and the Bronx #5 1898
 

 
 

Harlem

JACK KAHN, WHO PURCHASED THE COLUMBUS THEATER in East One Hundred and Twenty-fifth street, Manhattan, from Oscar Hammerstein, last year, is going to have the playhouse entirely renovated during the summer. The lobby is to be inlaid with rubber tiling, a complete new set of house scenery is to be painted and new furnishings are to take the place of the present old ones in the body of the theater.

DELHI & HOWARD OF 1193 Broadway, Manhattan, have prepared plans for a new structure to take the place of the present St. Jerome's Church and Academy at One Hundred and Thirty-seventh street and Alexander avenue, Bronx borough. The edifice is to cost $100,000 and is to be built of brick and Dorchester stone, with a tall corner tower and two smaller towers. The final estimates have not been handed in as yet, but as soon as they are ground will be broken and work begun.


Bronx

AN IMPORTANT ADDITION to the borough of the Bronx churches was made yesterday, when the new Port Morris church, to be known as Hope Congregational Church, was formally opened. The congregation of what was formerly a small mission had grown to such an extent that an independent parish was formed with the Rev. W.T. Stokes as pastor. Mr. Stokes was the superintendent of the Congregational Church Extension Society, and he has taken a warm interest in the congregation since it was first organized. At the morning service yesterday the sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. C.C. Creegan, district secretary of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, and in the evening by the Rev. Dr. Washington Choate, secretary of the Congregational Home Missionary Society.

THE MACEDONIAN, an old British frigate that has been converted into a house for refreshment at City island. Bronx borough, is attracting much attention in these days of great naval victories. The Macedonian was captured by the frigate United States, under command of Captain Decatur, in the war of 1812. The timbers of the hulk are apparently as sound to day as they were when the vessel was launched, and the great oak ribs seem to defy the ravages of time.

IT LOOKS NOW AS IF EVERYTHING would be in readiness at One Hundred and Twenty-ninth street and Third avenue for the running of through trains from the City Hall, Manhattan, to Tremont, Bronx borough, before the end of this month. The stations are almost entirely completed, the switch houses are about finished and the switches are laid. All that remains to be done is the tearing away of parts of the present station and the construction of a bridge from the new platforms to the stairway.

BRONX BOROUGH, within a mile of Harlem River, is almost as thickly housed as the Tenderloin district. The suburban elevated road scarcely runs on an open street in the borough, but cuts through the middle of separate blocks, flanked on both sides by the backs of houses. At One Hundred and Thirty-eighth street a house is being built under the elevated structure. It is, of course, only one story high and when finished will contain five good sized rooms. A newspaper dealer in the neighborhood his signified his intention of signing a lease for the house as soon as it is finished.

THE MORRIS WHEELMEN OF THE BOROUGH OF THE BRONX have made arrangements for holding the club race, open to members only, at Columbia Oval, Williamsbridge, Saturday, July 30. The programme consists of six events, as follows: One-half and one mile scratch, one and two mile handicap, fat men's race, an egg and spoon race and a slow race.



 
Website: The History Box.com
Article Name:  Just Rambling About Harlem and the Bronx #5 1898
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

Brooklyn Daily Eagle July 11, 1898
Time & Date Stamp: