Just Rambling About Harlem and the Bronx 1898  #11 
 

 
 

Harlem

Next Monday will be a red letter day in the history of the American woman as a professional factor in medical science. The New York Medical College and Hospital for Women will then take possession of its new building in One Hundred and first street, between Central Park West and Manhattan avenue. The situation commands all the clinical possibilities of a neighborhood where there are but few institutions of a charitable nature, together with the advantages of being within one hundred feet of Central Park. The lot adjoining the new college building is owned by the corporation, and as soon as circumstances warrant it expects to elect on the site a hospital of the most improved kind. No formal ceremonies will mark the opening of the college on Monday, except that the faculty will be on hand to welcome the students. The outlook for the ensuing year is most promising.

Uptown Republicans who attended the Saratoga convention have returned home apparently well satisfied with the ticket and are now prepared to throw off their coats and work for its success until the day of election. The Central Republican Club of Harlem indorsed the ticket with a whoop last night and a meeting of the Lenox Republican Club of the Thirty-first Assembly District has been called for tonight for the same purpose.

Two banquets were given last evening in the Harlem Young men's Christian Association, one in the men's department and the other in the boys' department. The former was in honor of the new committeemen, recently selected, and the latter while ostensibly in honor of those members who expect to serve on committees during the coming year, was in reality attended by almost all the members of the department.

Bronx

Bronx borough residents are congratulating themselves upon the fact that they are soon to have close by them more of the city departments than ever before. Beginning Saturday, October 1, there will be installed in the new annex to the municipal Building in Crotona park, at least three bureaus connected with the finances of the city government that have hitherto been downtown. The receiver of taxes for the borough will now carry on that function within the limits of the borough, as will also the Bureau for the Collection of Arrears and Assessments and the auditor for the borough. Henceforward the Municipal Building in Crotona park will be the place where citizens will pay the taxes upon their real estate and personal estate, and p ay their arrears of assessments, and also swear off their taxes.

An interesting relic connected with the late war is now on exhibition in a store window at One Hundred and fiftieth street and Third avenue. it is the stern boards of the Admiral's barge of the battleship Maine. After the Maine was blown up in Havana Harbor Bill Anthony, a seaman who achieved world wide fame on this occasion, secured this portion of the Admiral's barge. He was transferred to the Detroit and, becoming thirsty one day, he borrowed money of a ship-mate, Frederick Helboch, a Bronx borough man, leaving him the relic as a security of the debt. Evidently Anthony has been thirsty ever since, for the souvenir has never been redeemed. Helboch, who is chief gunner's mate on the Detroit, brought the relic home. it is beautifully carved and bears the word "Maine" in a scroll. Elsewhere are two stars, denoting the rank of an Admiral.




 
Website: The History Box.com
Article Name:  Just Rambling About Harlem and the Bronx #11 1898
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle September 30, 1898
Time & Date Stamp: