300,000 In Rain See Big Harlem Parade 1916
 

 
 

Despite last night's heavy fall of rain more than 3-00,000 persons, the police estimated, turned out to review the pageant and parade which was a part of this week's Harlem Carnival to celebrate the opening of a new car line from Willis Avenue to Fort Lee Ferry, connecting the Bronx, Harlem, and New Jersey. The parade was reviewed at Morningside Avenue and 125th Street by Assistant Commissioner of Public Works John H. Boschen and County Clerk Schneider. Governor Whitman and Mayor Mitchel, who were invited to review it, sent regrets.

A feature of the parade was a float on which stood a sixty-year-old horse car, which years ago ran from South Ferry to Central Park, and which was followed by a new Willis Avenue car of the new line. The parade was made up of six divisions. More than 10,000 persons marched after the platoon of police which preceded and was followed by Grand Marshal Louis S. Weber with his staff.

Then came 1,000 men of the Seventy-first Regiment, N.G.N.Y., in command of Colonel William Graves Bates; Battery E of the Second Field Artillery, in charge of Captain Wilbur T. Wright, with 300 men and six field guns; an infantry corps of Boy Scouts in charge of Major Robert Greenfield, and a naval division commanded by Major E. Trimm; 500 Spanish war veterans, who carried a banner captured in the Boxer uprising in China, and who were commanded by Captain William Jones; Company H. Tenth Regiment, of Mount Vernon, and a corps of "inter-Church Cadets" from Calvary M.E. Church at 129th Street and Seventh Avenue.

Several hundred Mardi Gras marchers in fancy costume followed the military divisions and were themselves followed by thirty floats led by the ancient horse car. On the second float was a gigantic picture of the ferry boat Fort Lee. Twenty members of the Nonparell Boat Club manned a float of two eight-oared shells, under Captain Edward Nickola, and the Bernheimer & Schwartz Brewing Company sent a band wagon drawn by ten huge, gray horses.

The Bronx was represented by marchers, floats, and horse-drawn vehicles in which were approximately 2,000 persons, led by John Schleisser, who rode a full blooded Arabian horse, valued at $3,000, and which amused the crowd along the line with dancing and high stepping.

The last division, composed of 2,000 marchers from New Jersey, was led by Mayor Edward T. White of Fort Lee, who was followed by eleven other Mayors of New Jersey towns, composing a group known as the "fighting mayors." There were 110 motor cars full of Jerseyites.
 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: 300,000 In Rain See Big Harlem Parade 1916
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

The New York Times April 7, 1916
Time & Date Stamp: