Brooklyn's Jewish Businessmen: Pre: 1925 Dlugasch-Feldman

 
 

DLUGASCH, Morris

Morris Dlugasch, of 32 Court Street, was a decidedly successful druggist and chemist before he became actively interested in Brooklyn real estate, but the very fact of his mercantile success sharpened and broadened his vision with regard to the realty possibilities in this boro, and with his characteristic promptness, he lost no time in arriving here, and he has already made a marked dent on local realty development.

Dlugasch was born June 1, 1874, in Russia. He came to America at sixteen, and for two-three years was jubilantly drawing three dollars a week as an assistant in a drug store, where incidentally he had an opportunity to utilize the training and education he had gotten in Russia. In 1897 he set out for himself in the drug business and in the course of time he grew into a large whole-sale druggist and chemist, controlling a chain of twenty-eight stores. In 1914 he was one of the largest handlers of chemicals for the Allies; in 1916 he supplied the French government with celluloid for aviation uses, being then one of the largest handlers of the celluloid product in the country.

It was 1920 when Dlugasch bought large tracts of land in the Eastern Parkway section because he sensed for that section the great possibilities for development which are now being materialized. He built 500 two-family houses, from Utica to Nostrand Avenue, and from Eastern Parkway to the Empire Boulevard. He also constructed twenty-five large apartment houses in adjacent sections, and now has substantial tracts of still undeveloped land.

Dlugasch personifies the charming combination of a dreamer, an idealist and yet the pragmatist, the businessman. Veiled behind his dreamy eyes and enshrouded in his oriental langor are the visions of the dreamer, save that his visions see the light of reality rather than dissolve into the air like the idealist's "castles in the air. He has the stamina, the persistence, and not the least of it the capital to put to test his mental conceptions. And he does.

Dlugasch is a director of the Municipal Bank; member of the Chamber of Commerce, director of the Brooklyn Jewish Center, member of the Brooklyn committee of the "Ort," member of the executive committee of the American Jewish Congress; on the board of directors of the Keren Hayesod (to which he is a large contributor); director of the Palestine Securities, Inc., and member of the N.Y. State Pharmaceutical Association.

Travel, coupled with linguistic excursions (he is quite a linguist) into foreign tongues; horseback riding, the theater and reading constitute his diversions.

He is married, and with his wife and two daughters lives at 1378 Carroll Street.

FELDMAN, Max

Max Feldman, of 761 Saratoga Avenue, has been in the ranks of active builders in Brooklyn for over thirty years. Starting his career by the construction of a number of tenement houses in Brownsville, Feldman has later spread his activities to other parts of the boro.

At present Feldman is particularly interested in East Flatbush where he erected several apartment houses, which reflect his neatness and taste in construction.

Feldman is closely familiar with all the phases of the realty field, and in the course of his long career has come to know intimately the development of the various sections of the boro. He remains avidly enthusiastic about the future, which, in his opinion, promises a great deal, especially with the increase in transit facilities.

Feldman has made a study not only of the trend in real estate proper but also of the tendencies and the character of our population, and he finds that Brooklyn has risen considerably in the esteem of those who seek accommodations for the up-building of homes.

Max Feldman was born in Russia, sixty-one years ago. He came to the United States as a youth of twenty, and at first met with the struggle that is incidental to a young man in a new and foreign country.

As he got better acquainted with the ways of the new land and began to observe the business growth around him he decided that the real estate field was fraught with large promises, and without much hesitation he entered into it.

It has always been his policy in building to pay due attention to the esthetic phase of his structures, as well as to the phases which bear on convenience and spaciousness.

Feldman is widely known in the boro's philanthropic circles, being as he is a generous contributor to local charities. Among the numerous organizations to which he belongs are the following: Federation of Jewish Charities, Hebrew Orphan Asylum, Hebrew Home and Hospital for the Aged, the Nurses' Home, and the Brooklyn Jewish Center.

He is married and lives with his family at 761 Saratoga Avenue.

 

 

Website: The History Box.com
Article Name: Brooklyn's Jewish Businessmen: Pre: 1925 Dlugasch-Feldman
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina

Source:

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Building up Greater Brooklyn: with sketches of men instrumental in Brooklyn's amazing development, Brooklyn, N.Y. by Leon Wexelstein; Brooklyn Biographical Society 1925.
Time & Date Stamp: