Four Shot After Card Quarrel For Five Cents 1904

Eight-Year-Old Girl in Harlem Street One of the Victims.

Following a quarrel yesterday in Harlem's "Little Italy," that grew out of an alleged indebtedness of 5 cents, four persons were shot, one so seriously that he may die in the Harlem Hospital.

After a chase of several blocks, in which a big crowd followed, the police arrested Antonio Caro of 344 East One Hundred and Tenth Street, and charged with felonious assault in doing the shooting.

The police say they learned that on Saturday night Caro and Antonio De Lago of 344 East One Hundred and Tenth Street played cards and drank beer together in the little yard in the rear of De Lago's home. They played for several hours and when they quit Caro said that De Lago owed him 5 cents, as the result of the game. De Lago denied this and refused to pay the nickel.

Caro, who lives on the ground floor of the One Hundred and Tenth Street tenement, climbed up yesterday afternoon to the top floor where De Lago lives, and made a second demand for the 5 cents. A quarrel followed and De Lago pushed Caro out of the doorway. Caro struck De Lago and then started to run down stairs. De Lago chased him down and into the street, where Caro, it is charged, turned and fired at De Lago, who fell to the sidewalk with a breast wound but got up and turned to run away.

Caro is said to have fired a second shot then, which went wild, but struck eight-year-old Rosa Depindo of 233 East One Hundred and Eighth Street, one of scores of youngsters playing in the street. The little girl was slightly wounded in the hip. Joseph Fierito of 240 East One Hundred and Eighth Street, who says he saw both shots fired, led the chase that started after Caro when he started to run through One Hundred and Tenth Street, toward Second Avenue, to escape the big crowd that gathered. Caro found himself being closely pressed, so turned and fired into the crowd that followed, the bullet striking Fierito in the right leg.

Gianno Roggo of 2,134 First Avenue was coming along and met the fleeing Caro. He saw the revolver and heard the cries of those behind, and as Caro came along shoved out his foot and tripped him. Caro stumbled, almost fell, but righted himself and turned quickly, firing a shot at Roggo, which took effect in his abdomen.

In the meantime the police reserves from the East One Hundred and Fourth Street Station had been called out, and half a dozen policemen joined in the chase after Caro. This led to Second Avenue and up to One Hundred and Twelfth Street, where the hunted man ran into 245 and to the roof. For several minutes the police and crowd hunted Caro, but did not find him. He crossed over the roofs to 249, went down stairs, and darted into the street, trying to elude his pursuers.

Some one recognized him and a shout of "there he is" went up. The chase then only lasted as far as First Avenue, where Policemen Enright, Dimond, O'Shea, and Nehill gathered around Caro and arrested him.

Drs. Jacobs and Dinnick of the Harlem Hospital ambulance staff were called and looked after the injured. All but De Lago and Roggo left the hospital after being cared for. De Lago, it is said, may die, while Roggo will recover.

Website: The History
Article Name: Four Shot After Card Quarrel For Five Cents 1904
Researcher/Transcriber Miriam Medina


The New York Times September 5, 1904
Time & Date Stamp: